The Scholastic Forums

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/12/2020 10:00 am  #2926

Re: 🍭 The Candy Graveyard πŸ‘» Specter's Homethread 🍭

One day I'd like to finish playingΒ Kingdom Hearts.
My cousin's PS4 is malfunctioning though (yes I do not have a playstation at home lol) and it's been so long since she actually gave me permission to play by myself xD
I got stuck in that Alice in Wonderland-themed island(?).
Bruh that was like two years ago or so I almost remember nothingΒ 
I do remember my brother and I laughed at Sora's shoes.

Specter | <<#CCsurvivor>>

12/13/2020 11:27 pm  #2927

Just laid down dramatically on the couch and began singing at the top of my voice (which isn't very loud rn lol thanks allergies I love you -_-) and I want to thank my parents for letting me do this
It feels Γ±liberating and so fun!

12/13/2020 11:30 pm  #2928

Sometimes I wonder what my piano playing level is for real
I mean by reading sheet music and practicing repeatedly (I get obsessed with practice sometimes xD) I can play pretty much anything in theory??? I've been getting better at sight reading too, so that's great! And I love how I can memorize stretches of songs easily.
But to be honest, I never even finished the "level two" book in the program I was taking. I did skip some songs from my 1st book because my teacher ruled that I didn't need them,,, hmm.
Also my knowledge of music theory is pretty basic.

12/13/2020 11:32 pm  #2929

Then again I learned piano when I was like 5-6 years old and I didn't even finish a year of study.
I zoomed through my theory books tho xD
So like most of my learning has been uhhh from actual experience Ig? I'm not self-taught tho, as my teacher laid down the basics for me.
Now she's teaching my brother and I,,, wow, like, he's a genius! he's really learning quickly.

12/13/2020 11:33 pm  #2930

But anyways I'm trying to learn the songs from myu second book rn
They're good practice and I want to finish the book before my brother gets to it.

12/13/2020 11:33 pm  #2931

Also the realization that I never learned/was taught how to use the pedal so Idk I probably abuse it xD

12/13/2020 11:35 pm  #2932

Oh and today I made a perfect lasagna!!!!! Wish I could give a pic but :') it's almost gone already. Just a bit left for tomorrow.

12/14/2020 10:18 am  #2933

Got a review of my English pronunciation and I am proud of the compliments :D
Apparently I can't pronounce the "of" very well and instead say "off" xD. But yes I've noticed I tend to say certain consonants too strongly.

12/14/2020 10:20 am  #2934

This is a weird idea but I've always thought of English pronunciation as being "soft"? Idk how to explain it xD but to me Spanish pronunciation has more of a "crisp" sound . Maybe because ourΒ r's pronunciation is different and we don't have short vowels, I think.
Idk I'm not very good at evaluating languages.

French sounds are SUPER SOFT though xDDD they just kinda slide out of your mouth and squish together.

12/14/2020 10:45 am  #2935

I've been kinda thinking perhaps I should post more on my homethread now
I've only got like two assignments left this week to finish my 3rd quarter :3 so I can kinda waste time a bit now.

Also I know I've been sharing some videos lately but sadly my YouTube is mostly music and not much actual content
So, I'll resort to random memes/funny images.

12/14/2020 11:09 am  #2936

Practice your Spanish :3
Yes Ik it's a cover but I love it a lot

I cri :')

I'mma see if I can find an English or original JP version of the song without the original videoΒ 

12/14/2020 12:32 pm  #2937

I'm a native english speaker who learned Spanish in school (spanish immersion) so lemme tell you that while I've never thought of english as "soft" or spanish as "crisp", imagining it in my head makes a lot of sense lmao

idk if I'll ever be able to picture english as anything other than my default, but going through the motions of sounding out the words and mouthing the consonants of spanish definitely feels more "crisp" than it does in english. it's like... I'm more aware of when my tongue makes contact with my mouth to create sounds, and the movement is more precise and deliberate

MOONFLIGHT
20 | she/they
since 7/31/2017

12/14/2020 2:24 pm  #2938

Oh that's really cool!!!! So you know Spanish? :D!!!Β 
I have to agree xD I don't even know why I describe the languages' sound like that, but it really feels like it to me for some reason xD. You did a pretty good explanation there :D

12/14/2020 2:31 pm  #2939

I'd put this as my phone ringtone just to annoy people tbh xD

:333
Also that weird sound when you listen to it with headphones?? I love it when songs do that xD it's marvelously disorienting uwu xD I'm weird ik.

12/14/2020 2:33 pm  #2940

i have boat dog as my phone ringtone

it's stuck in all my family's heads

Β  Β A-x-e-l, got it memorized?
Β  Β ----------------------------------
Β  Β Bow Before Ark Angel

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β eye see you
Β  Β  Β  Constantly Tired
Β  Β  Β WE FOUND THE CHEESE

Β 

12/14/2020 6:10 pm  #2941

Puedo conversar en espaΓ±ol pero no con fluidez. Espero que pueda viajar en un lugar hispanohablante para mejorar mi espaΓ±ol,,, pero cuesta mucho

MOONFLIGHT
20 | she/they
since 7/31/2017

12/14/2020 6:21 pm  #2942

!!!!! that's so good tho!!!!!

12/14/2020 7:08 pm  #2943

aww, thanks

but I still won't achieve fluency if I don't speak it daily with native spanish speakers,, I've had dreams in spanish before, but I can still feel the disconnect--fishing for words in my brain and using roundabout ways to express my meaning. I always feel uncertain about what I'm saying in a way I don't feel with english. At this point I'm just a couple of classes away from not being able to learn any more in school, so I'd really like to get there with a language I'm already fairly decent at! After I conquer spanish, mandarin chinese is next ;D

if I may ask, where are you from? I'm from rural minnesota (of the united states), so not many spanish speakers up here lol

MOONFLIGHT
20 | she/they
since 7/31/2017

12/15/2020 9:45 am  #2944

That's true. But having dreams in Spanish is a good start! I guess this advice is pretty common, but consuming material in Spanish (books, movies, music, etc.) really helps with fluency, especially if you already know them in English.

YOU WANT TO LEARN CHINESE TOO THAT'S COOL
I'm currently at intermediate level in my French, and my dad promised I'd learn Mandarin Chinese once I master French :D. I mean honestly I understand what you mean with a disconnect with words in another language, since that's my current experience with French xD and I can definitely understand more than I can actually express by talking/writing.

Oh I'm actully from Peru! I think I'm the only South American in this forum xD but anyways Spanish is my first language, and that's why I'm always excited and supportive about my online friends learning and practicing their Spanish

12/15/2020 6:32 pm  #2945

mmm yeah I've been trying to read some books in spanish but my usual method is via public libraries, and due to the shut down I can't go out although to be fair, I haven't read much lately since I discovered the internet. Do you have any good advice for spanish tv shows?

Last year my school was supposed to have some of the upper-level spanish class students go on a trip to Peru, but it got canceled because of covid I love potatoes and I hear peru has a bazillion species,,, and i want your potatoes (my school mascot is a potato lmao) Peru also has The Andes and the Quechua people! so cool. [I have now exposited all of my peruvian knowledge. thats it.]

I actually have a (second) cousin* who lives in China, so he's 100% supportive of me learning chinese :D rn I'm just going through the rudimentary stuff for mandarin. I also think it would also be hella rad to learn arabic! the script is gorgeous and I am super gay for their architecture. but one thing at a time, heh

God, I sound so privileged, but anyways I was able to travel to france!! where they speak french! I lived there for a whole month in an apartment with my family (my mom was doing research for her college and we got to come with), in addition to travelling around europe and meeting relatives. anyways, i was much younger and hadn't figured out that I love travel/culture/languages yet, so I foolishly didn't take the opportunity to get better at french (the trip was actually what helped spark that love for me!) atm I only know enough french to ask "parlez-vous anglais?", oops

oh god I wrote too much. I'm too easily riled up about stuff I'm passionate about,, sorry

*my cousin is also white af, being blonde and 6'5" (approx. 170 cm), and he's fluent in mandarin, so you can imagine the shock of all the chinese people when this AMERICAN(tm) took the time to learn their language well

MOONFLIGHT
20 | she/they
since 7/31/2017

12/15/2020 8:03 pm  #2946

Awww that's a pity . Hmm, rn I can't think of any (I mean tbh I don't watch/read much stuff in Spanish and most of it is generally the translation from English so idk) but I'll let you know if I come up with something! Looking up Spanish dubs for your favorite shows can also work btw :D (though I'll tell ya,,, the dubs may have good pronunciation but the quality,,, -_-)

p o t a t o e s
Yes we have a TON of potato types xD honestly one of my talents is probably knowing potato names, how to tell them apart, how they taste, and how to use them in cooking :D

I'll reply/react to the rest later! I gotta go do something else now xD

12/15/2020 8:35 pm  #2947

Also @Moonflight your cousin isn't 170 cm he's ALMOST TWO METERS TALL FDSKJKFDSJFDSKJ THAT'S HECKING TALL HOW--

12/16/2020 11:03 am  #2948

I typed "yeethaw" instead of "yeehaw" and now I'm imagining a cowboy throwing a lasso while yelling "Y E E T"

12/16/2020 11:46 am  #2949

cowboys say yee haw and ninjas say hee yaw

coincedence? I think not

Β  Β A-x-e-l, got it memorized?
Β  Β ----------------------------------
Β  Β Bow Before Ark Angel

Β  Β  Β  Β  Β eye see you
Β  Β  Β  Constantly Tired
Β  Β  Β WE FOUND THE CHEESE

Β 

12/16/2020 12:36 pm  #2950

ah man when converting feet to inches to centimeters, I made an oopsie! Like seriously WHY are there 12 inches in a foot??? why can't the US be rational like the rest of the world?? He's probably tall because my family has some scandinavian roots, but I'm only like 155 cm (this time I did the math right, lol.) Genetics, amiright?

p o t a t o e s !!! I know that depending on where you live, potatoes will have a different name in Spanish, like papas, or patatas. What do you call potatoes in Peru? Where I live we have 2 kinds of potatoes: bland kind, and tasty kind. that's it. It's pretty sad xD

Also I'm 100% imagining the cowboy just throwing the whole rope. No attempt to lasso anything, just- yeet

MOONFLIGHT
20 | she/they
since 7/31/2017

Board footera