The Scholastic Forums

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/27/2020 12:15 am  #1

Summoning Time and Xenon, asking some stuff.

Hey you two, this is a short chat thread that i dont mind getting buried once we're through with it

so, i'm writing a character for the Rift, their title is Five.
i had not read the updated roster until today and just now noticed your character, Three.
do you see where i'm going with this?

basically, I want to connect our characters through backstory?
Red is factionless, and his previous faction doesn't matter so we could say it was the Kashe, where Time is now. His backstory would involve being part of a remote outpost that was overrun by the Aljannu and Red believing that everyone else in the outpost had been killed, which is where Three comes in.

it's just a rough idea that i had like as soon as i saw your character so im not too attached but it would be cool for character devving between the two. p much everything here is subject to change if need be

also Xenon, i kind of just summoned you to ask permission to do this because you are the author and it would be rude to blindside you with this sort of thing

--[CORVUS]--
Addicted to Joy.
He/Him
Reddelynn#8028 for important stuff.

7/27/2020 12:43 am  #2

Re: Summoning Time and Xenon, asking some stuff.

So like out of the entire outpost, like, five survived or something? Sure. That would sound cool. I like it. Since Time currently doesn't have too much of a backstory. Just his childhood mostly.

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

7/27/2020 1:12 am  #3

five and three, in this case. the twist comes when five doesn't know that three is alive and is still sulking about it and being angry

--[CORVUS]--
Addicted to Joy.
He/Him

7/27/2020 1:19 am  #4

Do you think their names would be different back then?

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

7/27/2020 1:58 am  #5

i was assuming that the numbers, five and three, were military denotations, similarly to how police departments number their officers

--[CORVUS]--
Addicted to Joy.
He/Him

7/27/2020 9:36 am  #6

thanks for including me in this! 

typically, people choose their own class titles, though they've been known to change them - so it's possible red and time had different titles before this happened and could change them in memoriam or something? i'm not sure exactly how that would connect?

i do like this idea - it can v easily tie into some stuff i have planned for time/three [he's one of my six i have an arc in dev for rn]

xenon 
he/him || god of scones || brian david gilbert stan
gemini // mirage // the copy
too many forks, not enough spoons

7/27/2020 3:59 pm  #7

Yeah that's kinda weird. I would think their titles are given because of any rumors or something they're known for, or they just choose it themselves

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

7/27/2020 4:20 pm  #8

assuming titles were around when time and corvus were working at the outpost, then maybe replacing their previous titles with just the number was a prerequisite for joining

if not, then the commemorative naming would work well enough,

--[CORVUS]--
Addicted to Joy.
He/Him

7/27/2020 4:36 pm  #9

i'm leaning more commemorative because the kashe, while organised and hierarchal, aren't necessarily militaristic - that's more nêçirvan if anything

xenon 

7/27/2020 6:09 pm  #10

aye aye captain

--[CORVUS]--
Addicted to Joy.
He/Him

7/27/2020 10:54 pm  #11

But like wouldn't that mean all the survivors know each other and numbered them then?

It could be like, an allied outpost or something. If there was any allies back in the day.

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

7/28/2020 4:53 am  #12

it would be more of a coincidence that they both decided to commemorate the dead by renaming themselves to the numbers

like beforehand they were numbered as an easy way for higher ups to refer to them (or something similar, there's an interminable amount of ways it could be explained so letting Xenon decide would be best) and post-outpost-collapse they changed their official title to match their numbers

--[CORVUS]--
Addicted to Joy.
He/Him

7/28/2020 12:17 pm  #13

Very coincidental if all survivors chose a different number (unless some knew others were alive but still a coincidence nonetheless)

That might work

But of course this is Xenon's choice

Last edited by Time (7/28/2020 12:18 pm)

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

7/28/2020 12:22 pm  #14

i have an idea for how the numbers might make sense: they could be like desk or lab numbers? the outpost is probably relatively small so there aren't that many labs:  time would've been in lab 3, corvus in lab 5 - maybe everyone at the outpost called each other by their numbers like nicknames? potentially out of laziness too, since learning names is hard sometimes. and then the survivors just adopted those numbers as a thing to remember that dynamic/environment

xenon 

8/05/2020 4:59 pm  #15

Oh realized that this wasn't really responded to oof.

So do you think that you have a good idea for the exact reason why they changed their names? And what their previous names are to be? I think I can offer a few if you do need that stuff

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

8/05/2020 7:26 pm  #16

i've got one for three although suggestions are always welcome!
also @corvus though signups are closing today you're welcome to submit after deadline since five's technically in plot right now

xenon 

8/05/2020 10:26 pm  #17

I was gonna say made it Amadeus or something lol. For Corvus I was thinking Red bc that's his out of forums name

Last edited by Time (8/05/2020 10:27 pm)

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

Board footera