The Scholastic Forums

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

12/12/2020 4:07 pm  #26

Re: Moonflight's Homethread 4.0

Super Squad: It is the year 2018, in the United States. People have superpowers. And in the bustling city of Brooks, there are superheroes. You’re about to become one of them. When famous Ex-Superhero Shake (Daniel Stone) decided to recruit a group of teen superheroes (no experience required!) and offered a paid internship, you were one of the thousands of kids your age who signed on. You filled out the application form - the basics, like name, height, weight, etc., but it also asked about what superpowers you had, or what you could bring to the team. You didn’t think you’d be asked back - I mean, how many people applied? And not just in Brooks? After a week passed, you thought it was over. And then you got a response asking for an interview.

Red Island Academy: 
A decade after the first Jade Mountain Academy was first founded, there were eleven schools operating under its jurisdiction. The extreme popularity of the original created demand for more, and academies began to pop up all over. Eager to receive a formal education, you signed on and were accepted to Red Island Academy, located underneath the Rainforest. Now, at five years of age, your school life will begin.  However, ancient mysteries are at work behind the scenes, and safety at Red Island Academy may be harder to come by than originally thought. As more and more is revealed, the deadly past buried underneath the school begins to resurface, and when digging up those secrets you may also be digging your own grave. 

Mechanical Heart: Have you ever wanted to be a robot in a dystopian post-apocalyptic steampunk sci-fi wild west?! Well now you can! You are an Explorer - a brave robot with the task of periodically leaving the only home you’ve ever known (Relic 73) into a vast, dangerous desert to collect items and gain fuel in order to power your home and fellow robots. This Roleplay will be about the adventures you manage to cook up while exploring, fighting monsters, and exploring. There will be a plot eventually, however.

Haunted House: You’re an orphan. Maybe you have been your whole life, or maybe tragedy has occurred only recently. Nonetheless, you’ve been suddenly moved to a new orphanage, Miss Spade’s Home for Children. It’s apparently renowned and has received glowing reviews, but you could’ve sworn you’ve never heard of it before. But despite your wary feelings, you find yourself on the doorstep of an upper New York mansion, surrounded by a dark fence and shrubbery that seems almost hostile, quickly abandoned by your chauffeur and tightly clutching your light suitcase, along with four other children taking in the sight. You’ve always had bad luck, but this takes the cake. What next?

(I collaborated with Chan on this) City of Sin: 
In Keras, anything goes. Known as the City of Sin, corruption runs rampant throughout. Nobles and tycoons take advantage of the flailing classes below them. Assassin facets abduct young children and force them to become recruits. Cults have risen to power, promoting their beliefs through acts of violence. However, amidst the crossfire, a new group has been kindled. You have noticed the decadence of Keras. Wishing to change your city for the better, you plan to meet up with others that share your ideals. "Renegade." That's who you'll be.

(I collaborated with Ivy on this) All Aboard the Winson Churchill: 
Long ago, humans colonized the galaxy. And then some horrible event happened, reducing the new civilizations to the Stone Age, and cutting off communications between the planets. Many humans died, but those who remained, often on terraformed planets, evolved, continued to survive, and eventually reached for the stars. The new “aliens” met each other, and warred against each other, created alliances, and all sorts of sci-fi tomfoolery. The Xyxxthyl Empire have conquered most of our little corner of the galaxy. They’ve displaced the two-headed Aaladuklans, the burrowing Elkandish, the blue-skinned Tratans, the furry Hoppohs, and many more. The Planetary Council have begun to try and push back against the tyrants, but their hold here is too weak, and the Xyxxthyl Empire’s too strong. Because of this, crime and poverty flourish, and gangs and mobs rule. However, even in these dark times, hope survives! An old, old ship, from the time of the humans (who have been long forgotten), named the Winston Churchill, is rescuing refugee after refugee, a scourge to the Empire and a beacon of hope for peace. Or, at least, they will be. They haven’t quite gotten there yet- but they’re pretty close! Like, they’ve rescued a couple of people so far. But that’s more than others have! They’re just trying to do the right thing! How many aliens have you rescued, lately? Ahem. Anyways. You are now either one of the members of this noble crew, or a refugee that’s been recently rescued. It’s up to you and your friends to save the galaxy!

MOONFLIGHT
20 | she/they
since 7/31/2017

12/12/2020 4:11 pm  #27

Hmm I am interested in Mechanical Heart and the Winson Churchill one. And wanting to learn more about the City of Sin one more, like the setting.

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

12/12/2020 7:59 pm  #28

Ha... just now realizing that City of Sin had 4 pages (in Google Drive) worth of background info. And that was the condensed version, that wasn't excessive or didn't have spoilers.

MOONFLIGHT
20 | she/they
since 7/31/2017

12/12/2020 8:10 pm  #29

The Kingdoms

Keras, the City of Sin is located on a huge continent known as Pangaea. Sharing Pangaea are three kingdoms; Amallia, Soto, and Elkand. Keras belongs to none of them - truthfully, none of the kingdoms want it - and exists along the ocean, in between Amallia and Elkand’s territories. Each of these places have their own unique and diverse histories and traditions, and they’re going to be detailed here for your benefit.

Pangaea is located in the northernmost hemisphere, and roughly three quarters of it is blocked from Amallia, Soto, Elkand, and Keras by a massive mountain range; unpassable by any of the existing technologies. For our purposes, I will refer to the accessible part as Pangaea. The eastern part of Pangaea is covered in mountains and vast forests, and the southern dominated primarily by deserts. Along the western coast there are rolling, fertile plains, and a chain of tropical islands extend beyond and below the coast. There is a southern coast as well, belonging to Amallia, although it is desert.

The kingdom of Soto exists on the tropical islands to the west of Pangaea, and is ruled by the native populations who existed there long before settlers came. In ancient times, the islands of Soto used to be at war with one another, but were united under a single Shaman-King. However, an island much further away from the islands of Soto, along the southern coast, called Mosali, was not united under the Sotoan banner. They were pirates; the inhospitality of their homeland forcing them to steal and plunder from the Sotoans and the natives on the continent of Pangaea in order to survive. The Sotoans wear lots of belts, tattoos/body paints, and long, draping clothing, specifically ponchos. They wear their hair in dreadlocks, and usually have little body hair. The Mosali wear lots of animal parts, and cover their whole body. They shave their heads. They also use masks a lot, typically depicting various animals. Sotoans are pale skinned, with dark hair and light eyes. They have a lot of birthmarks and are generally tall. The Mosali are similar, but usually shorter. All Sotoans are master seamen.

Amallia is the largest of the three kingdoms, but by no means the most powerful or influential. Wracked by civil war, it has now attained an uneasy peace with the Elkandish military occupying them and forcing peace. Amallia is mostly unexplored and unsettled by the settlers, and the native people there, although a minority, possess a great influence, particularly the Alo tribe. They wear casual, medieval european-style clothes (tight, wraps, tunic, fur, pants, boots, and leather). They wear a lot of braids and pulled back hair. They have dusky skin, with dark hair and dark eyes, and are generally pretty short.

Elkand is the richest and most powerful of the kingdoms, living in the bread basket of Pangaea. They possess lush prairies that make for wonderful farm land, and are able to take from Amallia and trade with Soto. When settlers first arrived on Pangaea, they arrived in Elkand, and murdered most of the native people there; the Kretchen tribe being one of the few that escaped their wrath. However, native beliefs and traditions are a very significant and unspoken part of Elkand culture. The Elkandish are tall, with dark brown skin. Their hair tends to be fair and straight, and a trademark Elkandish has piercing green eyes (heterochromia on occasion), although those traits are not universal in the least.

History

The universe was born with an explosion, as primal forces danced in the abyss. Such a powerful eruption of dynamism created an imbalance in their world - as energy pooled intensely into creation, it was extracted as well, creating asymmetry in the fabric of the universe. Spirits; almighty beings born from the energy (known as Hekate) formed a world for themselves, and on it, Pangaea. They created humanity, but left eventually for reasons unknown.
In Pangaea, native people settled in Soto, Amallia, and Elkand (although those kingdoms did not exist then). However, settlers from a southern continent arrived, and took over, creating their own distinct lands. At first, only Elkand was controlled, but settlers soon moved to Amallia, where they had a much better relationship with the locals compared to Elkand. However, a drought caused a decrease and disparity in resources, and Amallia split apart, a civil war destroying it as they all waged destruction in order to claim natural assets for their own. Elkand suffers from a inequality in education and wealth, as well as past tragedies regarding mass murder of native populations. Soto has very, very strict rules, rules that are decided by a religious leader and various theological texts.
Most settlers do not remember where they came from, or why they moved, and none of the people know of magic and spirits. Those are just fairy tales entrenched in religion and mystique.

Keras

Keras, known as the City of Sin, is situated right on the convergence of the west and south coasts. It is a lawless place, and is filled with so many problems that no kingdom wishes to claim it as theirs. Order is kept by gangs, cults, and corrupt Merchant Tycoons whom the civilians have to pay to stay safe. Only the extremely rich or extremely poor manage to stay out of this vicious cycle. All people in Keras wear masks depicting a bird. The masks define a person's habits and skills. For example, a performer might have a peacock mask, or an assassin might have an owl mask.

Harbor district: It is divided into two sections; a lowlier, fisherman dominated bay, and a cove taken over by rich nobles. There are many party houses and beach mansions there, and it is an important seat of wealth. The cove is known as Pearl Cove, and it is where the fishermen used to get pearls from. Nowadays, it is a common party trick for foolish young nobles to go diving for pearls and swim among the rich flora and fauna located there. The bay is known as the Crystal Bay, and it is called this due to the impressive clarity of the water. It is where the fishing society and the dock/harbor are located, and it is where all new arrivals to the city come in. The people there are relatively distant from all the murder and whatnot happening in Keras. Those in Pearl Cove have short, pale hair. As little hair as possible. They shave often. Rather tall, smell nice. They like to wear more british regency clothes. They are also obsessed with looking as clean as possible, with clear, pale skin. No makeup, unless it’s concealer or whitening. Obsessed with the notion of chivalry, and being as noble as possible. Those living in Crystal Bay have long dreadlocks or braids, red hair. Big coats.

Forest/Mountain (FM) district: A largely natural place. It contains the large forest, and the dormant volcano along with the small bit of forest located on it. It is where the nature-lovers and retired elderly live, but there has recently been an outbreak of illness around there. There are some private mansions, but they’re usually for displaying wealth rather than living in. It used to be where a lot of the nobles lived before they moved to the Pearl Cove, and so there are a lot of ruins.

Downtown: Where a lot of the Merchant Tycoon’s businesses are located, along with restaurants, shops, stores, and the market. However, it has a dangerous dark side. After dark, the Downtown becomes a criminally infested cesspool, and violence reigns supreme. However, in the morning, it is a busy workplace. There is an unspoken rule among the civilians and the big time gang members that the gangs will not be present in the daytime, and the civilians will not be present during the nighttime. They try to imitate the Pearl Cove-ers, but display their wealth and power in ways that the nobles would most likely find appalling. They also really like big things; big pants, big beards, big hair, etc. Even the smallest hat shop owner needs to have something about them “worth it”, like a really long beard or massive shoulder spikes. They also really like colors. 

Slums: A small district, and yet the most populated one. It’s where people go to get forgotten, and there are some illegal slave rings that go on. Children there are often kidnapped, and a lot of people there are those with nowhere to go - those who cannot work (elderly, disabled, young, criminal, addict, etc.) and those who work the lowest paying of jobs (mainly the workers being taken advantage of by the Merchant Tycoons). Many of them have little or no education. A lot of small-time gangs start up there, and the living conditions are terrible. However, there can often be a strong sense of unity found among the communities there, and everyone shares in order to survive. Their hair is usually long, and in very elaborate designs. They don’t have much, but they have hair. Also, tattoos and body paints. They generally wear loose, comfortable clothes.

Residential district: Where all the normal civilians live. These people make their livings off of working hat shops, selling fruit at the market for the Merchant Tycoons (whereas the people living in the slums would be the ones picking the fruit), and teaching at schools. Many of these people are paying various gangs to keep themselves safe from violence and the gangs themselves. It consists of houses, schools, libraries, and other public facilities. Edwardian style clothes. Certainly less corsets, though - fatness is a sign of wealth and prestige, and generally wholesomeness and generosity. Grunge is more popular among the newer generations.

Magic

Magic is Hekate - an energy existing in this world that only spirits can manipulate. The magic the humans use would be “left over” magic. For example, if a spirit manipulated a pool of water, the pool would then be saturated in the energy. A human could take the water and use it to cure their wound, along with chanting necessary words or using other magic items besides the water. In that way, humans can cast spells, but only stuff like potions or enchantments, or with magical objects made from energized items. For an item-wise example, if a spirit were to make a tree grow, then a human could fashion a broomstick out of it, after doing various chants and preparing the wood so that it would both be comfortable and fly as a rider directs. 

MOONFLIGHT
20 | she/they
since 7/31/2017

12/12/2020 9:32 pm  #30

Woahhhh so much info!!!! 👀👀👀
I'll read throuh it in detail when I have time but 👀👀👀👀
Bro all those ideas are wonderful nfnfnvn

Specter | <<#CCsurvivor>>

12/12/2020 10:02 pm  #31

aww thanks man! nobody really joined them in the old wofmb, idk why

MOONFLIGHT
20 | she/they
since 7/31/2017

12/13/2020 12:58 am  #32

chatting with someone on the internet,

him: are you on pc
me: yeah my mom died so now I get her laptop

like literally wtf how do I manage to combine nonchalance and extreme awkwardness in the same goddamn sentence whAT tHe HeLl

MOONFLIGHT
20 | she/they
since 7/31/2017

12/13/2020 2:45 am  #33

The nonchalance is the tone and the topic

The awkwardness is the aftershock of how awkward you just made the conversation.

That's my theory

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

12/13/2020 2:33 pm  #34

thanks i guess

MOONFLIGHT
20 | she/they
since 7/31/2017

12/14/2020 1:39 am  #35

my bad then

I didn't notice that city of sin stuff. Seems interesting to me, I'd totally join.

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

12/14/2020 12:35 pm  #36

sweet. I'll ask chan how she feels abt it and maybe make a poll

MOONFLIGHT
20 | she/they
since 7/31/2017

12/16/2020 5:36 pm  #37

Why in the hell am i so cold! Also depression is kicking my a s s

I woke up and all my extremities were goddamn blue, I looked like a smurf,,,, what has my life come to

MOONFLIGHT
20 | she/they
since 7/31/2017

12/27/2020 10:26 pm  #38

What's the stage in life called where you find a blister underneath a blister underneath a blister

MOONFLIGHT
20 | she/they
since 7/31/2017

12/28/2020 2:59 am  #39

Wait that's a possible thing?

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

1/05/2021 8:00 pm  #40

unfortunately. i have proceeded to eat nothing the whole day and then guzzle soup. fascinating is the appetite of a teenager.

MOONFLIGHT
20 | she/they
since 7/31/2017

1/05/2021 9:35 pm  #41

Ahh, ngl kinda relatable

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

9/01/2022 4:45 pm  #42

hi!! i sent you a pm earlier today but i was poking around and i realized there's a specific setting you have to turn on to get emails when someone pms you. so. i worry you have that off and i'm impatient so if you just haven't gotten around to checking your email yet then whoops! but i figure you'll probably almost definitely get notified if someone posts on your homethread which is what i'm doing. idk. if anyone else gets notifications from this thread, hi there. sorry about that. bye

ivy
she/her - writer reader
:D

11/14/2023 6:20 pm  #43

Today I had a dream that I was a warrior magically created by a dragon to guard his hoard. I was defeated by a group of adventurers, who stole the dragon's gold. After this, I had no purpose, and was befuddled by my continued existence.

I decided to eke out a living as a mercenary, since I had no other skills. I was contracted to protect the daughters of a corrupt government official. Life as a bodyguard reminded me of when I protected the dragon's hoard, and I felt satisfied by the work. I also enjoyed the company of the two kids, who began to regard me with more familiarity than they did their own father.

Eventually, their father was murdered by someone he had wronged (probably rightfully, tbh), and all his wealth became forfeit after his corrupt practices were exposed. I decided to stick with the kids, though, because of our bond and the joy they brought me. We travelled around and survived off of the money I made doing mercenary work.

At one point I was hired to protect a village from attacks by a nearby rival village. This was a generational enmity stemming from a disagreement over the ownership of a fertile strip of land. The rival village was located deeper into the nearby forest, and as such had many capable archers. Because of this, their young men had been drafted to serve as bowmen in battle. This imbalanced the feud, and the village I had been hired by took over the disputed territory, building farms and cultivating the land.

Things changed, however, when the rival village's soldiers returned home with some of their fellow servicemen, armed with the weapons they used in battle. They began raiding and harassing the farms that had been established on the newly claimed land. The leader of the raiders was a pompous fellow and an expert archer, and he had a massive ginger moustache. Idk I just remember him because he was a real character.

Anyways, during a confrontation with the raiders, I got shot by an arrow in the back. Severely injured, I was in rough shape when the younger of my adopted daughters manifested magical powers and healed me. Moustache Man noticed this and decided to try to capture her, cognizant of the fact that magically-endowed people were extremely rare and rather prized as court magicians and battle mages. I decided to nope out of there and search for an independent sorcerer to teach her.

I found a powerful sorceress on the lam, masquerading as a backwoods herbalist. She agreed to teach the younger daughter, but was also fascinated by my background as a dragon's magical construct. We were both plenty wary of each other, but also flirted rather heavily. It was kinda gross idk

Also my name was Lamp ... lmao

It was a pretty cool dream. I have a lot of dreams like this. I think I'll record them here as a D R E A M J O U R N A L ... maybe draw some pictures of the characters. 

MOONFLIGHT
20 | she/they
since 7/31/2017

12/11/2023 7:42 pm  #44

I have lots of dreams where I see my mom. It always starts out as a sort of cameo. She's a side character in the intricate and fantastical plot of my dream. But whenever I notice her, everything kind of stops. Mom, I think, and rush in to hug her. She's surprised, at first, by the intensity of my emotions. But she immediately reciprocates. I hold her close and cry and scream, because I know it's temporary; that it's just a dream. I want to hold her for as long as I can, while I can. I want to love her and feel loved by her. I want her back.

My dreams are fairly delicate, fragile things. They're dialogues between my conscious and my subconscious, and there are rules. I don't get to decide what my dreams are, but I can affect their outcomes slightly. I can control my actions, and I can sometimes bend the reality of my dream a bit. I can't go too far, or the dream will end. But sometimes my dreams go too far, and I'm forced to modify them so they don't turn into nightmares.

By going to my mom, I interrupt the flow of the dream. So I wake up. Everytime I see her, it's like I get her back for a little bit, but I'm always aware that it isn't real. It's like a knife in my heart that I twist to pump my blood. It feels so good and it feels so bad, and I anticipate seeing her with both longing and dread. Honestly, though, I'm more scared of never seeing her again in my dreams.

The last time I saw her was different though. I saw her and I hugged her, and I felt the soft give of her skin; the warmth of her body; the presence of her whole. It felt like she was real in a way that my dreams never are. I knew that she wasn't alive, but that the memory of her was. And that I'd always have it, and that I'd never forget what it felt like to be in her arms. And I didn't feel sad, or empty. And the dream didn't end until the morning. It was nice. I miss her.

MOONFLIGHT
20 | she/they
since 7/31/2017

1/07/2024 6:11 pm  #45

waaazzaaaap. Reading through my earlier posts; I've actually written a lot, LOT more on Keras since I first planned it. I wonder how Chanty is doing. If you'd guys like I can give y'all a bit of a summary on what's up.

MOONFLIGHT
20 | she/they
since 7/31/2017

Board footera