The Scholastic Forums

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

11/12/2023 3:16 pm  #1

Is anyone still here?

Hey, it's me! Moonflight. I'm originally from WoFMB. The original MB, as well as this forum, means a lot to me.

In the early days of the internet, there wasn't a ton of social media, and people mostly communicated in forums. I think that it's neat I was able to experience that, despite growing up in a world dominated by Instagram and Snapchat.

I was here for the collapse of the scholastic forums (something I will still never forgive them for) and its tranformation into Homebase and the subsequent migration here. And then I left. I was dealing with a lot of things IRL.

Lately, I've been having dreams about this place. Nightmares, really. I'm haunted by the liminal digital space that only exists in memories. I often have dreams about places that no longer exist.

The house I grew up in was torn down to build a dike. It existed for decades, and was filled with love and loss and time. There is a house shaped impression etched into my consciousness. And now its gone. There are many other places like this that I can never visit again. The old playground near the river. The empty, ghost-strewn mall of my hometown. My 1950's high school building. They have all been torn down so that something else can be built where they once stood.

Humans are especially attuned to loss. When things go away, they loom larger in our memories. I think that nothing ever disappears; that when something loses its physical presence, its mental presence increases. I think that the places we visit in dreams are made out of the places we can't visit in the real world. This would explain why I see them so much in my sleep.

It would also explain why I dream about this place so much.

I don't know if anything I wrote makes any sense. I don't know if anyone will read it. I don't really care. I am trying to exorcise my nightmares of these forums by breathing life back into them. Even if this place only beats with my singular heart beat, I am damn well going to keep coming back here.

Stay out of my memories. Make new ones instead.

MOONFLIGHT
20 | she/they
since 7/31/2017

11/14/2023 5:32 pm  #2

Re: Is anyone still here?

I had another dream about this place. There had been around seven new posts by other members. It was a good dream, at least! I think it's because I didn't visit yesterday. It's unfortunate it wasn't real. Oh well. Gonna keep doing this, anyways. see ya.

MOONFLIGHT
20 | she/they
since 7/31/2017

11/19/2023 8:05 pm  #3

Hiiii! Echo here! Technically this place is kinda dead, however it's nice to see someone on here!

(Also I finally remembered my password to my account XD)

I was on the SAMB and as well experienced the shutdown of the original forums

So, uH, welcome to this humble Boardhost

Echo
He/Him xe/xem
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

11/25/2023 1:27 pm  #4

Hey there, nice to see someone else posting. I relate to having dreams about the forums, both the originals and this boardhost. Although I have mixed feelings about it all I can't deny that keeping in contact with everyone and sharing fun creative ideas has been a big part of my childhood. It's nice to see others also remembering those times. 

Specter | <<#CCsurvivor>>

12/11/2023 7:09 pm  #5

Thats good. I'm glad. I really enjoyed coming up with roleplays and participating in them with others. Many of the roleplay ideas I came up with I am still developing independently as creative ideas/works. I wonder how other forumers would feel if they were to read a book or watch a movie that contained ideas from a scholastic forum roleplay they were in years ago

MOONFLIGHT
20 | she/they
since 7/31/2017

Board footera