The Scholastic Forums

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/09/2020 2:54 am  #1

The Art of Scorching Eyes ~~ Galaxian's Garbage (G)Art Gallery

Hello! Welcome to this land where Galaxian will post art that they might be momentarily proud of but will be guaranteed to be disgusted at within a certain time frame, that being the shortest being half an hour and the longest being a month! Constructive criticism is welcomed even though they have an overly sensitive nature and forgiveness is sought for :D. Hope you enjoy!

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Protecc: 黑小虎, Gold Saints, Run, Hajime Saitou, Heaven Chancellor, Karna, 离, Hiiragi Shinya, Violet Evergarden, 涂山容容
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how."
Birds aren't real.

8/09/2020 2:55 am  #2

Re: The Art of Scorching Eyes ~~ Galaxian's Garbage (G)Art Gallery

Copying and pasting from the GGaD Boardhost because I'm lazy (and then needing to edit it lol)

His name is Hei Xiaohu, I have been rambling about him on my homethread for too long, and I adore him even though he's totally a bad guy in perspective
He's the best villain ever. In my opinion. If you want to fight my opinion then fight me
When I was just starting off drawing him, I was like, "This guy is like Rai" because in some aspects he does kinda look like Rai, and the style in this piece was really similar to an AgK!Rai one that you guys never saw unless you're on the GGaD Boardhost
However I feel proud of this one! I think most things turned out nicely, though we don't talk about the background hehehe. This attempt at humanizing him is just in general much better than my first attempt, which I didn't show...obviously. In the first attempt, I had tried long hair, since he's based in a semi Ancient Chinese fantasy background and people in those settings usually have long hair, but nope. So instead I went a bit more for his tiger features (his real self is based off a tiger). His eyes were initially black but I changed them to a color more alike to that of a tiger's, and I'm pretty happy with that. I also moved shapes on his forehead down to his cheeks so they wouldn't be obscured by his bangs, which I tried to kinda make fluffy? I'm pretty happy with the way his hair turned out in general, like the parts on the bottom really resemble his canonical design. I'd say the coloring on the hair was worth it. 
I like the blending on his shirt and I overall love the color contrasts hhhh. I must say I'm proud of the green background. Initially I was going for violet/purple, which is his aura, but I decided that wouldn't be what I would use. I also don't hate the design I went with, though I kinda failed on the blending for the bg :sweatdrop:
Despite the stiff pose and such, I must say I've improved in body proportioning and that I really love the feline features I gave him (I obviously opted out for the tiger ears), like the protruding little sharp canines, the markings on his face, his general color scheme, the eyes (and the somewhat slit pupils), and I must say I think I did a fine job in general. I also love his scarf <3. Disregard the fact I may have drawn some of his attire in the opposite direction. He's just a beautiful ferocious little boy young man and I love him very, very much!! :D
Ignore my somewhat failed attempts at vertically aligning Chinese characters lol

-Galaxian-

Last edited by GalaxianExplosion (8/09/2020 2:59 am)

Galaxian Explosion
Protecc: 黑小虎, Gold Saints, Run, Hajime Saitou, Heaven Chancellor, Karna, 离, Hiiragi Shinya, Violet Evergarden, 涂山容容
Birds aren't real.

8/09/2020 7:41 am  #3

:0 He is very cute!

Echo
He/Him xe/xem
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

8/09/2020 7:52 am  #4

:0 that looks fantastic Galaxian!! I especially love the way you drew the hair and eyes, the shading on the clothing is also really good

Autumn (Librarian)
she / her | kinda a nerd
hello :D hope you're having a good day

"The true sky, and songs that cageless soar
Were they not wishes worth fighting for?"

8/09/2020 9:49 am  #5

eXCUSE ME the coloring is amazing :0

Zzzzura 
Administrator

8/09/2020 11:22 am  #6

🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Love the coloring. And everything else.
Stunning. Beautiful. Gorgeous. Amazinng.

Specter | <<#CCsurvivor>>

8/09/2020 12:03 pm  #7

Look at the color gradient on those eyes that's amazing

Call me Marshall. Or Hungry, as that usually describes me.

"Chaos is only an enemy if you're unable to adapt"
-Шухрат Кессикбаев

Dealer of cursed artifacts

Chaotic Neutral energy

T̢h̛e v͝͝oi͜d̷̛ í̶s͘͜͞ ͢͠l̀͞o̵v͝ȩl̛y̸̢,̕͢ ̢̀h͡ǫ҉ṕ̶ ̵͟͏o̧n ҉̛i҉n̷̡

8/09/2020 4:32 pm  #8

You know what? Your art never ceases to amaze me. It really does! There is just something special with the way you do expressions.

𝕿𝖎𝖌𝖊𝖗

8/09/2020 5:09 pm  #9

@Echo - IKR HE'S SO HUGGABLE never mind the fact he has the ability to easily displace my internal organs if I tried FDJIKFJSDIOF

@Autumn - :0 Thank you!! I'm glad to hear the shading on the clothing isn't too bad, gotta work on it though xD

@Zura - Coloring is definitely one of the longest and possibly tedious parts of drawing xD glad to see the time paid off though!

@Specter - Thank you! UwU

@Marshall - Honestly eyes be the easiest part to color xDDD small surface area

@Russet - Where is the feedback for the missing lollipop? :3 :eyes:

@Tiger - Ooh, that's a first for expressions xD. I personally don't think I do anything unique with them (if anything, probably accidental distortion), but I'm glad you think it's special. Gotta do an expression study sometime xDDD I gotta stop drawing smug smiles and semi-angry ferocity

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

8/09/2020 11:49 pm  #10

@galaxian you know what Idk but after looking at all of the art you posted I think you do really good with them, and expression can be found in more than where you think.
I think that you do really good with coloration and shading and capturing. I think the eyes in your work are what draws attention to the faces of the characters in your art.
(Sorry was I being too over-analyzing? If that's the case I'm really sorry I kind of get carried away when discussing any art.) What I mean is your art is truly beautiful in every way.

Last edited by Tiger (8/09/2020 11:50 pm)

𝕿𝖎𝖌𝖊𝖗

8/10/2020 2:03 am  #11

@Russet: >:D Extra lollipop!! :D

@Tiger - I love that in-depth explanation, thank you sdjfdifjof I feel bad that you've been looking at my art for so long though,,, lol I really love analyses like what you just provided because when I look back at them in the future sometimes I'll be like "wow what he said was true!! :D" or I'll just be flattered in the future as well. I'll try to keep doing as well as/better than you and others have been saying about coloration/shading/capturing and the like , so thank you so so much :3

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

9/14/2020 3:17 am  #12

Edit: Yeah I don't know what to say either

Hi guys! So uh this isn't the best quality digital art I can produce but uh, it's supposed to be a simplified style and drawn quickly, so...
I'd also like to note the absence of background is, for once, not due to my inability to make them xD there's supposed to be no background.
Anyways, he's GGaD!Galaxian. I don't think I succeeded in making him look like a 7-year-old, but I think he at least looks...like a kid???? Not an adult? I don't know.
In any case, I think I'm pretty happy with it just because I drew it with my finger and improved noticeably from the last time I showed digital art (again, not here, it's somewhere else, I do not suggest a Galaxian digital art search thank you very much). I didn't do awesomely with layers, but I think there aren't huge mistakes jutting out. Please don't look for mistakes, I know they're there.
I think he looks cute xD. Not quite as chibi as I hoped, but then again, Galaxian always ends up in this style--kind of anime, kind of chibi, a bit in both worlds.
Hope you like it xD

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

9/15/2020 12:47 am  #13

I like how there's effort in the shading despite being a simple piece.
Honestly dude! That's really good for a finger drawing!
And it is exceptionally good for a quick piece too 👍
He does not look like an adult xD really, congratulations.
I alsi really like the lineart in different color for his shirt thing.

And I'm curious. What did you do for the little glow on the right? Did you airbrush it or was it another option? It looks really, really, super neat.

Specter | <<#CCsurvivor>>

9/15/2020 6:08 am  #14

:0 I actually can't believe you drew that with your finger

I love the lighting

Echo
He/Him xe/xem
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

9/15/2020 1:56 pm  #15

I just noticed I didn't add his mole under his eye xD must be the consequence of not looking in the mirror for a month+.

@Specter - Thanks for all the compliments lmiao. Yeah, I used the airbrush for the lighting. I don't think I went as overboard this time as I did...one time,,, :thonk:

@Echo - Well you draw on your phone and you do just fine don't cha? xD
Thanks for the feedback!

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

9/15/2020 3:44 pm  #16

You have seen my digital drawings and they are Not Good lol. I also use a stylus lol

Echo
He/Him xe/xem
AAAAAAAAAAAAAA

9/15/2020 4:58 pm  #17

I keep on forgetting he's litterally seven.

But pretty nice, I'd say

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

9/16/2020 9:33 pm  #18

@Echo - the forbidden land of stylus for me :eyes:
@Time - Sounds like room for improvement for me xD. Thanks!

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

10/26/2021 2:38 am  #19

"What's the design for your forum persona, Galaxian?" you ask. "Well, it depends!" I answer, shrugging and offering the equivalent to the online "(:" that has been said to be utterly unhelpful and perhaps even provocative.
Well, here's a drawing of forum!Galaxian. I think I said I'd post something like this to Echo a while back, while I was still in my former sketchbook, but I couldn't sketch traditionally in a while, and during that time, my drawing of him quickly proved itself to be a no in terms of posting it. Also, I only just opened this new sketchbook, essentially. And perhaps you can tell, but there's no way I can color forum!Galaxian correctly on any digital platform as of this point, especially since I don't know what specifics are "canon."
So instead, I went for this instead. Kudos to you if you can tell something else that's different (uhh, not psychologically), but essentially, I'm trying to let go of my perfectionistic attitude a bit. The fact that art is for enjoyment might seem like an easy fact to remember, but I think that many other artists (since I like to think all artists have some degree of perfectionism) could testify that it's not that easy. Sometimes it feels like anything wrong just makes a piece invalid, or maybe an (unintentionally) messy part of a piece that was intended to be clean forfeits the entire work as a whole. Or at least, that's the way I'd say it. But you know, I think I need to keep realizing that art is a process, even if it's not one I'm good at, and that I'm trying my hardest and won't get anywhere if I keep pushing on through that process without ever stopping.
So yeah, this piece, and many more that I'll post in the future (probably all of my artwork), is chock-full of mistakes. Some mistakes are those I made and didn't bother to change, some are those that I'm aware of but don't know how to fix, and some are those I don't know are there yet. But you know what? It's okay. It's a process.
That isn't to say that I'll stop deleting artwork files from places once I can't bear to look at them anymore, because I will, but that does mean I'll (try to) stop thinking I'm an untalented idiot all the time. Like yeah, maybe that is true, and you can't deny it either (art progress slow as heck xD), but I have other things I'm better at and good at, or even things I'm worse at, and that doesn't mean that I should stop doing any of those activities. Art is pretty personal, and I shouldn't be stressing myself out over it. That's what I'm working on, anyways.
So...this piece is really loose. Linework probably didn't have enough effort in it (I do see some improvement, though, I think? Maybe?), coloring was literally just whatever I thought might work (1 A.M. coloring FUN), and I probably shouldn't have colored the skin first...yeah, so that's a definite part. I overworked the skin too much and now some parts look like globs. But it's okay, because the entire work was really fun to do. I haven't had that much fun coloring in a long while. And the feeling of actually (possibly) showing something I said I'd show was fun, too, contrary to a certain piece I showed in the near(?) past. So yeah.
Well, other than all the rambling about art, the point of this post was actually supposed to be "I don't know what's canon for forum!Galaxian...because technically everything could be canon and also not canon." As I was coloring him and letting go of my entire mindset of how he's supposed to look, I was realizing something pretty important. That thing was pretty obvious, too--it's how character design is really a process and how that fact is important to this character specifically. Forum!Galaxian is intended to be a combination (the best one I could put together, anyways) from the ideas of a lot of people who I saw as friends. No matter whether those individuals still see me as friends, the time during the forums spent with those people, who used their time to type out things for me, is still something very valuable in my eyes. So, my persona's design is basically my interpretation of their ideas combined, whether it's hair color, outfit preference (as compared to how I characterize him), accessories, and details like that. But I realized a few days earlier that by constricting myself to those ideas only, just using them as what could be, nothing was fitting together correctly. It's less a matter of "he's my character, I shouldn't be just going off those ideas" and more "he doesn't just represent something like that." To me, forum!Galaxian is supposed to represent me in a way--not really in personality (because our dead social skills are in different underworld realms) or in appearance (though this would fit a little closer), but instead, he represents how some place was able to change him, just like that place was able to change me. He has details to him that originate from the forums and wouldn't be without the forums, just like how I think that I also have such details. He isn't just someone who became how others perceived him to be. He is someone who was (able to be) perceived by others. By just putting together the ideas of others, his appearance only became someone who was only what others thought he was. His appearance nearly became extremely static--the opposite of someone who is always evolving, whether it's him or me or any other person in this world. As his creator, I nearly made a very big and very stupid mistake--I nearly forfeited what I actually wanted him to represent. And that's funny.
Well, that's about all I really needed to say. I think that sometimes his more static appearance also appears--void black eyes, the gradient blue hair Rune once described, the exact outfit and friendship bracelets imagined by other friends. But other times, Galaxian's not like that. He changes, sometimes goes back a little, sometimes "leaps forward"--it's all fun, you know? To be able to witness that and to try to represent my own changes in him is fun. There's no way I'll truly be able to convey this properly, but overall, thank you for making me who I am, and thank you for influencing how my forum persona looks like in turn.

I did want to note that my favorite part of this piece, colors exempting, is probably how the more I look at his expression, the more his smile turns from a more innocent one that I'd expect his GGaD persona to have to a more smug, slightly condescending one. Illusion or not, it's super funny, but I don't recommend staring at this for that long. Wouldn't want you to actually see all the mistakes, would I? ;).

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

Board footera