The Scholastic Forums

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/14/2020 3:31 pm  #1

New Horizons: A Wings of Fire Forumfic | Informational Thread

Hello and welcome! I'll be posting any important information relevant to New Horizons on this thread. Feel free to ask any questions you have pertaining to the forumfic here.

[ JACK ]
she/her | aquarius | frog lover

8/14/2020 3:39 pm  #2

Re: New Horizons: A Wings of Fire Forumfic | Informational Thread

Important Notes

• New Horizons takes place 5070 years after the Scorching.
  • In this universe, there is no magic on either of the continents. As a result, animus powers, NightWing powers, and leafspeak do not exist.
  • Due to this, Clearsight never discovered Pantala. Additionally, Dalkstalker's lack of powers meant that the NightWings never fled their original kingdom and still reside there.
  • BeetleWings did not exist in this universe; the SilkWings and HiveWings already existed as separate tribes.
  • Without Clearsight's legacy, the Tree Wars did not occur, although the HiveWings and LeafWings have had a long history of territorial disputes.
  • The War of SandWing Succession did occur, although the NightWings were allied with Burn and the MudWings were allied with Blister.
  • Without the Dragonet Prophecy, the war ran its natural course, ending in 5011 A.S. with Burn taking her place as the SandWing queen. An uneasy peace followed soon afterwards.
  • In 5023 A.S., Onyx challenged her aunt for the throne and won. She went on to have one daughter, Scarab, who ascended the throne in 5050 A.S. at the age of 15.
  • Pyrrhia rediscovered its sister continent in 5055 A.S., 15 years before the events of the fic.
  • The most common method of transportation between the continents is by boat. Many Pantalans have immigrated to Pyrrhia, and vice versa.
  • Hybrids have become more commonplace on Pyrrhia, although they are still stigmatized.
  • Possibility now exists as an independent city-state governed by Lady Sun and her council. It’s transformed into a bustling center of commerce and the arts, and it’s home to dragons from nearly every tribe.
  • Most dragonets in Possibility attend Arroyo Academy, a public school named after its founder, the SandWing scholar Arroyo.

Current Rulers
SandWings: Queen Scarab
MudWings: Queen Boar
SkyWings: Queen Starling
SeaWings: King Bluefish
IceWings: King Bjorn
RainWings: Queen Guava
NightWings: Queen Valor

SilkWings: Queen Copper
HiveWings: Queen Ladybird
LeafWings: Queen Laurel

Last edited by Jack (8/16/2020 12:23 pm)

[ JACK ]

8/14/2020 3:48 pm  #3

Dragon Years to Human Years
(Note: This is not a canon age conversion chart, merely a fanmade one that I use for convenience.)
1: 0-4
2: 5-8
3: 9-12
4: 13-15
5: 15-16
6: 16-17
7: 18-19
8: 20-21
9-15: 20s
16-30s: 30s
40-54: 40s
55-70s: 50s
80-90s: 60s
100-110s: 70s
120-130s: 80s
140s: 90s
150: 100

Last edited by Jack (8/14/2020 3:48 pm)

[ JACK ]

8/14/2020 6:12 pm  #4

Are NightWing names more centered around the night/darkness/stars instead of related to their abilities in this universe? because the lack of NightWing powers make names like Morrowseer, Fatespeaker, etc. kind of invalid in my opinion

~Thunderstorm~
she/they | writer | cat lover | chaotic tired
abyss and revenant
"Just a little time... just a little something else instead..."

8/14/2020 7:20 pm  #5

Russet wrote:

probably a dumb question with an obvious answer but do MudWings have the sib groups in Possibility? I’m sorry if the answer is obvious I’ve forgotten lots of stuff from the books that aren’t particularly important xkajdnsid

Yep, MudWing sib groups are universal!

SongOfStorms wrote:

Are NightWing names more centered around the night/darkness/stars instead of related to their abilities in this universe? because the lack of NightWing powers make names like Morrowseer, Fatespeaker, etc. kind of invalid in my opinion

I was planning to address this before hdjdhf thanks for reminding me!!
In this universe, NightWing names are more night-related, but like in canon, they can also pertain to physical appearance (ex. Strongwings, Bigtail) or describe a certain attribute (Thoughtful, Greatness, Vigilance).

[ JACK ]

8/14/2020 9:20 pm  #6

ah, okay. thanks!

~Thunderstorm~
she/they | writer | cat lover | chaotic tired
abyss and revenant
"Just a little time... just a little something else instead..."

8/15/2020 2:11 am  #7

Watching yes

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

8/30/2020 6:35 pm  #8

Technology

• Pyrrhian technology has evolved significantly ever since the days of the Great War.
  • The usage of glass has been popularized not only for practical purposes, but for artwork as well.
  • Gunpowder (or firepowder, as it's referred to) has been invented and utilized to an extent. It's most commonly used in weaponry (cannons) and in fireworks.
  • Compasses have been invented and are now especially useful for navigation and exploration.
  • Telescopes now exist on Pyrrhia, although it's quite difficult for any normal dragon to get their talons on one. As such, usually only academies and observatories have access to them.
  • Plumbing systems exist in most of Pyrrhia's major cities; however, only wealthy dragons can afford to have them installed in their homes.
  • After the rediscovery of Pantala, most of Pyrrhia has begun to transition into printing books rather than scrolls.

[ JACK ]

8/30/2020 7:23 pm  #9

I do like my dragons having gunpowder for guns (and cannons, mostly if not entirely for cannons, right?). Yes I do.

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

Board footera