The Scholastic Forums

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

9/02/2020 3:27 am  #1

Galaxian's Scribbles (2020)

(Warning for violence and...that's about it, I think. Not-good writing. Angst.)

Sept. 1 ~ Choice
Do not let your sight linger upon someone you have not been tasked to kill. They are but futile attachments, even if temporary, that blind you.
Do not develop attachments. Those who you know will come and go. They are as if fleeting shadows that you may need to slay one day.
The two components of a creed have been broken, each twice. The first infraction may be seen as minor, almost as if the repercussions of punching glass. Perhaps the blow is hesitant and only a bruise is obtained. Perhaps the glass is fragile and breaks, leaving only a few cuts that are not enough to serve as a warning. Yet it spears through flesh the second time you strike at it, ingraining itself into the cut of broken skin and flesh. By the time regret finally sets in, a future scar that may never heal has already secured its place.
But you cannot be scarred and you wonder if you truly regret your choice. Perhaps the glass itself is embedded within you now, or you may even be the glass itself.
After all, the one who created the creed was none other than the one who forces you against it, aren’t they? 

~~~~

Galaxian Explosion
Protecc: 黑小虎, Gold Saints, Run, Hajime Saitou, Heaven Chancellor, Karna, 离, Hiiragi Shinya, Violet Evergarden, 涂山容容
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how."
Birds aren't real.

9/03/2020 12:57 pm  #2

Re: Galaxian's Scribbles (2020)

Ornate writing, as always. Love it :D

Specter | <<#CCsurvivor>>

9/03/2020 1:20 pm  #3

Very questionable as to how ornate it actually is, but thank you xD

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Protecc: 黑小虎, Gold Saints, Run, Hajime Saitou, Heaven Chancellor, Karna, 离, Hiiragi Shinya, Violet Evergarden, 涂山容容
Birds aren't real.

9/05/2020 9:57 pm  #4

Sept. 2 ~ Perfection

This will be filled up once the excerpt can near some minuscule variation of "perfect", so this post is marked as TBA.

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

9/15/2020 3:09 am  #5

Sept. 3 ~ Déjà Vu
His precognition was being just as specifically helpful as usual. It told him something was wrong, which was great, except it didn’t tell him what the something actually was. 
Regardless, Galaxian stepped out of the crowd as he usually did in similar situations. In his current form, it wasn’t all that hard; from his current height, he was able to at least see the surrounding scenery, a welcome change. 
...he would swear it’s not as bad as that might have made it sound.
He took an usual glance around his surroundings--just one glance was enough--before he held his right arm across his chest, as if to check the time on a nonexistent watch. His surroundings at present hosted a variety of buildings and a break away from the surprisingly empty road, but the sidewalk itself had no such reprieve from dense crowds, which shuddered along as if large swarms of fish evading a shark whose whereabouts were unknown. 
Instead of doing the typical, his right arm reached into his left sleeve to take out an orb. 
It wasn’t any ordinary orb, of course. While in a mortal’s eyes it would have seemed as if a large black marble, it was in truth at least a bit more complicated. For one, gold slashes pulsed at a speed most mortal eyes would not be able to follow along with. They were the representation of deaths compared to births, perhaps a simple thing to be represented compared to how it was accomplished, but then again, the deity always liked to overcomplicate. 
Despite being a life god, Galaxian’s duty was not to ensure that no one died, and though somewhere within him a twinge of pain accompanied the sight of each and every slash, he still heaved a relieved sigh, allowing his shoulders to slope briefly. The sigh caught itself before it finished, however; after all, that was hardly enough for true relief. 
He slowly lifted the orb up again, almost with trepidation. The slashes were the same, but still that didn’t serve to comfort him.There were many things that could be wrong that didn’t involve killings and blood. Such issues were usually the first his mind leapt to, as it was accustomed to doing so, tying a quick connection between his domain over life and any situation. However, it didn’t help him consider how this time, no actual pain came with the realization that something was wrong.
No. The cause was stronger than any pain he could currently feel. It transcended what he remembered. It had to do with something he could actually feel. It was a dubious suspicion, but it was still there, just like it was there with him every moment, growing stronger and stronger, only grasping a hand around his head once he could no longer endure the tediousness.
Or perhaps when someone could no longer endure tediousness of another kind.
Galaxian barely registered just when he had allowed the usual mystical scarlet to fill his right iris again or when he had ricocheted himself off of the wall, but his mind, ever in the present, had allowed him to register that he was once again passing through forms he could not see clearly, if only in pursuit of one. Person by person blurred by, their features indistinguishable, unfamiliar, but he didn’t spare a glance. He couldn’t. 
Then he spied someone, strolling along with the rest of the crowd. They were the same as everyone else. Nothing struck out to him other than the painful familiarity of knowing who it was. Still, the deity whirled to face the crowd as he came to a standstill, ready to ask questions he never knew he had.
Yet, the crowd swirled past, typical as always, and there was no one there for him.

~~~~

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

9/18/2020 12:43 am  #6

Sept. 4 ~ Ambivalent
I know it’s a heinous thing to pin events as absolute reason, as if they justify anything on an absurd level, yet I do this too often. From the top of my mind comes just how often I attribute my lack of vocality to others in the real world because of my experiences. I hope this excerpt will not be like so. I hope to draw circles around a certain uncertain conflict. Oxymoron intended. 
This is Galaxian, by the way. I was going to write about something else, but I looked at the word for the first time today, and...this came out. That means I’m probably going to share a little too much, or perhaps not. I’ll try to keep it short--as short as anything I can write comes out, anyhow. I’ll try to keep it frustratingly mysterious, like I usually do, but who knows how this will turn out? This is supposed to be a sort of warm-up to drafting a memoir, after all. No sense making it seem like anything more than a note or a prologue at most, though it shall never be published.
As some of you know, my dream is to become a surgical oncologist. I’ve never been particularly shy about voicing this ambition to those who ask, or sometimes, those who don’t. It’s a dream that sometimes wavers and seems out of my reach, but I have never truly disbelieved myself regarding it. 
The dream itself is a positive memory. I think I started having it as soon as I knew the word “doctor”. I was around 3 years old at the time, and I hope you will excuse me then for not knowing much about doctors other than the toy stethoscope around their necks and their apparently signature white and red color scheme. I blame this prolonged impression for biases I still harbor today. One of my favorite characters is a doctor in red and white, after all. (Fortunately, I knew he was a doctor even without a stethoscope.) Funnily enough, it wasn’t until around 2 years ago that I finally looked more into the exact field I aim to go into, but I had had the field in mind for a fairly long time. I wanted and want to help treat cancer.
Mind you, I don’t have set expectations that I’ll manage to find a cure for it somehow. So many brilliant minds have come before me, and what do you think you see here? Well, certainly not a brilliant mind, that is for sure. However, even if I don’t accomplish something on a world-breaking scale, it’s still something I want to go into.

You see, someone very dear to me died of cancer. “Dear to me” perhaps makes me sound a bit old, and considering that I had never met her, perhaps a bit dramatic, too. But in one way or another, it’s like I have. Ever since I had heard of how she died, I wanted to help be a part of the fight against cancer, even if at the time I hadn’t fully understood what cancer was. For me, my only impression of cancer itself was that it had taken someone I could have known away from the world.
It’s hard to explain by now, as I now have a slightly more mature mindset, but the idea was there. 
As you can probably tell, I was a pretty naive child, which should not come as a surprise. Because I’m probably talking too much, the gist is this: I wanted to become a doctor. A doctor who specifically treated cancer, but a doctor in general. 
Perhaps that’s why I viewed hospitals and those within it in such a positive light. Chinese people call nurses “angels in white clothing”--I took that saying literally and beyond. Now, try as I might, I can only associate this mindset with the tentative inference that it was perhaps due to my connections to a hospital with me, even if it was future me. But it was ridiculous. It was as if the moment I was inside a hospital, everything negative I had heard about it disappeared, from the concept of patient abuse to the fact some people would die while being in them despite all efforts. In a way a hospital manifested itself as if a sort of hopeful haven at all times, as if somehow the people working in it were perfect. And ironically, every time I have been in a hospital, my impressions have been proven wrong and wrong again, from the hospital I was born in to the present. 
Does that mean my dream itself is based on something ambivalent? Perhaps. Without going into further specifics, what has happened to me regarding hospitals should have logically deterred my dream. Then again, if it had deterred me, perhaps my true faith in humanity would be much lower than how I even proclaim it now. After all, if those who are supposed to save your life and see you at your weakest disappoint you, what other disappointment is there to discover? 
Yet I still have the dream. Perhaps all of it means that I am still naive somewhere within me, even as I scorn my past self for that naivety. 
Memoirs are stories that are supposed to be written with conviction towards past events, but I know I lack this conviction, no matter in words or in thoughts. I doubt I will ever find it until I reach the crossroads related to it. I cannot even do more than blame my past self, childishly, for a sort of naivety I likely still have.
The story will be written with a lack of conviction towards something still ambivalent, written for my future self to criticize. 
I shall see how this will turn out.

~~~~

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

10/20/2020 1:17 am  #7

Sept. 5 ~ Bane
"Li, why do you not go to the battlefield yourself?"
That was something he was asked over and over again in the past.
He always found some way to deflect answering the question. Sometimes it was easier, with a shrug and a small smile doing the trick. Other times, he put the reason as him being a doctor. His job was to treat the wounded, not to inconvenience his coworkers by becoming one of the numbers, he said. He even formulated a reason that sounded even more justified in his head if anyone ever pressed, but no one ever did.
He sometimes wondered why it seemed so complicated to him. He was not a bad fighter, even though he didn't specialize in it. He could at least be a common soldier or a strategist. He did not fear pain.
Or did he? 
There wasn't much pain to speak of in his life. For some reason, Li never even recalled falling, even though that was how Windsky found him the first time--fallen on his face in barren wastelands. From that moment on, days passed by with a sort of physical apathy.
Now, even though every breath felt as if shards of glass were being sucked into his throat, he didn't feel much. He knew it was just his consciousness dimming in a world that never truly existed.
His body didn't belong to him anymore, after all.
If he disappeared here, someone would still be called Li sometimes, even though that someone would never have the thoughts or feelings Li had grew to attribute as his own. If he disappeared, that someone would never have that struggling voice in his mind bothering him again--that voice that was identical to his own.
They were one in the same, but they could never coexist.
The doctor called Li had once never had a name. It was only after the future General of Country A had found him that he decided on one. He wasn't sure why. It was a strange name even without knowing its origins.
"Li" meant to depart, to leave. It always carried a sad connotation with it, as if the faint scent still lingering on withered flowers. At the time, he had found the name and its source amusing, and the name more out of practical need than anything else, but it also served as a reminder that if he found where he belonged, he might have to leave without looking back. For all that talk about helping others, it was only a sort of distraction--or rather, something to do while he waited.
Yet nothing on his past came, and the present continued on. Soldiers whose faces he had come to remember died in the fight against Mars. Fellow doctors came and went. Countries diminished.
He never changed. Sometimes it even felt as if he never aged. Despite being a part of it all, it overwhelmingly felt as if he didn't belong anywhere.
Not in this current world. Not in his past.
Not in any world or any past.
Not even this little world for imprisoning him wanted to hold him. Even the glass holding him hurt.
He had come to accept all of that, so why was he struggling? Why was he trying to shout out to the outer world--to someone who would never listen to his words and who he could never force to stop? 
Once again, it wasn't his battlefield. Even if he fought, it was a fight he could never win. A soldier who cannot even wield a knife or a gun could never fight in the first place, not to mention winning it.
He was that soldier already held at gunpoint by a skilled sniper, lifting his own gun while his fingers felt like they could slip at any moment. He had no control over it all, yet he still wanted to try.
Maybe that was why Yali Shanda looked at him with that sort of pity. That fool, the other probably thought. So much for being one of the top professors of one of Earth's two major countries. You could last longer if you didn't struggle futilely.
Maybe he had never gone to the battlefield because he had never had a reason to fight. Maybe it was for the better--perhaps if the young man called Li had ever summoned himself to a battlefield in a forever foreign world, perhaps he would have perished long ago in a battle he could not win for a reason he thought he believed in.
Yali Shanda and Li could not coexist, but they could cease existing together.
Even if he was the one to disappear, at least he would not have left without stepping onto a battlefield.

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

Board footera