The Scholastic Forums

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/26/2020 1:01 am  #1

The Sprawling Underneath | Rebel's Writing Thread

Mild reference to Nevermoor in the title there. I've gone up already with a homethread so now we go down.

Anywho, I intend to post stuff about Nevermoor here as well as some other stuff of a wide variety.

I would expect to see something about Disgraced here at some point honestly.

Last edited by DarkLordRebel (7/26/2020 4:12 pm)

>ℜ𝔢ɮ𝔢𝔩<
Our scarlet eyes will watch you keenly... friend.
And so I arrive!

We shouldn't even dare to think about a secret sneak attack. Perish the thought!

So I guess we're gonna have to... FACE. OFF.

The hydra was better.

7/26/2020 1:21 am  #2

Re: The Sprawling Underneath | Rebel's Writing Thread

Disgraced??? 👀 That roleplay from SAMB? 👀👀👀

Specter | <<#CCsurvivor>>

7/26/2020 1:27 am  #3

So, Nevermoor.
Some stuff about the city proper:
* It's roughly circular in shape
* Most buildings are tall, and there are streets and traffic lights between as you'd expect
* Housing is mainly confined to the middle/edge of the city, and most is apartment-esque (though there are large ones that are closer to house size)
* Before everything happened, most of their food and whatnot came from outside the city. Now, its anyones guess, since its locked in.
     * While many do not believe in Nevermoor's existance, there were a select few who were very aware and handled trade
     * Nevermoor does produce stuff, but it doesn't grow anything aside from garden plants - and even that was limited
     * Plants currently don't really thrive here. There's some odd vines but that's about it.
* The Midnight City is its moniker/alternate name due to the color of its buidings
     * However, the title used to hold a more positive tone to it instead of the darker and bleaker tone it holds today
     * It has always been difficult to ascertain where exactly doors are though. As such, many buildings would have a sign directly above them or something to make the doors more visible. Eventually, people just began to learn the locations
* The Mirr Railways were hailed as a pinnicle of advanced transportstion, and was vastly preferred to cars
     * The rails went all over Nevermoor
     * Stairs led to outside locations, while elevators signalled a station at a building
     * The trains were a fast, reliable mode of transportation, and far better than any alternatives
     * The system is currently defunct for unknown reasons

Last edited by DarkLordRebel (7/26/2020 8:28 pm)

>ℜ𝔢ɮ𝔢𝔩<
And so I arrive!

We shouldn't even dare to think about a secret sneak attack. Perish the thought!

The hydra was better.

7/26/2020 1:28 am  #4

@Specter Yeah. I liked the idea so I started writing it out as a story, which looling back was probably a better format for it. It has different characters from the submitted ones but the idea is still the same.

>ℜ𝔢ɮ𝔢𝔩<
And so I arrive!

The hydra was better.

7/26/2020 1:44 am  #5

Cool! I remember joining it hehehe. The concept was very very interesting to me.
10/10 would read.

Specter | <<#CCsurvivor>>

7/26/2020 6:21 pm  #6

^^

Also is Nevermoor actually populated with people? Or is it just the people that get trapped into it?

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

7/26/2020 7:00 pm  #7

I'm tempted to post Disgraced at some point here.  Currently there's just the prologue and the start of the first chapter, but I have my characters, though I did decide for some reason to start going through the characters that were less important versus the ones that I was actually chucking into the Realm.

Nevermoor does have a population aside from those lured in. While there have been plenty that have been drawn to the city and become trapped, what happens to them is different from what has happened to Nevermoors residents. All the people just kind of in the background are Nevermoor's residents, alive but unable to notice anything alive around them.

>ℜ𝔢ɮ𝔢𝔩<
And so I arrive!

The hydra was better.

7/26/2020 7:12 pm  #8

Oh so like, they live a normal life but don't know that it's "cursed"?

What is up with that city anyways?

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

7/26/2020 7:41 pm  #9

Not exactly. It's more that they aren't aware of pretty much everything, save for objects. They don't get into accidents for the most part or anything, but they don't interact with each other. They're just going through the motions- heading from their homes to where they worked and then back, but nothing's really being done. They're just as trapped as everything else there.

Let's just say that there's something in the city that isn't supposed to be there, and that doesn't want to be there. The results of this are why Nevermoor is in its current state, as well as why there are creatures that roam around at night.
There will be more on what's actually going on here, but that's for later.

The keys are important.

Last edited by DarkLordRebel (7/26/2020 7:52 pm)

>ℜ𝔢ɮ𝔢𝔩<
And so I arrive!

The hydra was better.

7/26/2020 8:07 pm  #10

I was looking through some notes I put for one of my ideas and found 'can only stealth around' in it.
Quality notes right there.

I also found a set of sort stories (they were all about a paragraph long) from that time on the SAMB when we were given one word writing prompts during October. I only did six of them, but I'd pretty much forgotten about them.
My writing on them wasn't bad either, but I would change some things at this point.

Last edited by DarkLordRebel (7/26/2020 8:29 pm)

>ℜ𝔢ɮ𝔢𝔩<
And so I arrive!

The hydra was better.

7/27/2020 12:03 am  #11

Oh, so they're kinda just like...? Idk, it really just seems like such a weird state to just walk to home and to work like nothing is wrong. I broken the right word?

Well I'm starting to get my theories.

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

7/27/2020 1:11 am  #12

I guess broken could work? I wrote that they're drained in a sense in my notes, which ties into them as well, in both a literal and less literal sense. Literal in that their colors are very muted, practically just shades of gray, and less so in that they don't seem to be truly there.
I suppose they're kind of like empty shells, a shadow of who they were, and it's all a result of what happened to Nevermoor to bring it to its current state.

Theories are fun.

>ℜ𝔢ɮ𝔢𝔩<
And so I arrive!

The hydra was better.

7/27/2020 1:21 am  #13

Ah, so empty shells would accurately describe them.

They are

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

7/27/2020 11:25 pm  #14

For anyone interested, here's some stuff about Disgraced.

* There's two main worlds here
     * The world (original naming, I know)
          * Essentially Earth, but with some minor differences (land masses, countries, stuff mostly along those lines)
     * The Realm of Disgrace
          * Place where groups of people are forced to by some unknown force and for unknown reasons
          * Those dragged here are all labeled as 'Disgraces', though the metric for the Realm deciding this is unclear to everyone who comes
* Time passes differently in the Realm from the world
     * 1:4 ratio; for every 1 month in the Realm 4 months have passed in the world
     * People also don't age while in the Realm
* Each group that is sent to the Realm is composed of 4 - 14 people (the Saboteur of the group included in that number)
     * 3 - 13 people in a group are those who are actually trying to escape
* Failure to escape results in that person becoming a part of the Realm and serving in a new capacity
     * That new role is typically some sort of opposite to how they acted in the Realm
     * There are multiple roles that can occur
          * Saboteur : The person is a part of the group, working from within to ensure that the maximum amount of people are trapped within the Realm. They are not supposed to be revealed, and keep the truth about them concealed. 
          * Guide : The person is one of the few helpful people in the Realm, forced to give some guidance and advice to the groups that pass through. What they say is truthful, though how they present information is not in the clearest way. Their help is to confuse a group as well as to help instill hope in the group of escape.
          * Wanderer : The person never realized that they did not escape, and will be with a group of up to 6 other wanderers. If they chance upon the current group in the Realm, they will be hostile to them, not believing that there can be another group there.
          * Twisted : The person is twisted into one of the many monsters of the Realm. Least desirable outcome.
               * Not every monster in the Realm is a Twisted, but many are
     * There may be more types, but that's what I have so far
* A group will always have at least one person escape
     * The reason as to why the Realm would do this is unknown, but a theory as to why it occurs is because that person will know and have to carry that burden for the rest of their life
* No one leaves the Realm unchanged
     * The Realm requires those to take on a part of it before they are able to leave, and this always causes change in that person
     * The extent of the change varies per person
          * The more time spent in the Realm, the more changes a person will undergo
* Change is mostly a result of the powers that originate from the Realm
     * Powers all come from Realm beings, and are absorbed into a person
     * There are points at which it is impossible to pass without a person holding a specific power, which is one of the main ways that the Realm forces it upon the party
* 3 years in Realm the max amount of time that any group will have to escape the Realm/ spend in the Realm
* Groups are generally very close to the amount of time that they are expected to reach the escape in upon reaching it
     * Some cut it closer than others however

>ℜ𝔢ɮ𝔢𝔩<
And so I arrive!

The hydra was better.

7/27/2020 11:48 pm  #15

Ooh that sounds cool.

But imagine being gone from the world for 12 years. Is the world aware of the realm?

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

7/28/2020 12:33 am  #16

Aside from those who have been to the Realm, no one else is aware of the Realm.

Also, despite the fact that these events has been going on for some time now, no one ever seems to think that there's something else afoot. Whenever people disappear in this manner, it's just labelled a kidnapping and those who don't return are just presumed dead.

It's never really great for anyone upon return, and they don't know that time has passed differently until someone tells them.
The one thing that is maybe a break for them is that the first person/people that they come across have also been to the Realm and returned, so they understand what they've been through, unlike most others in the world. Something always seems to draw at least one of them near the location that the returnees appear in.

>ℜ𝔢ɮ𝔢𝔩<
And so I arrive!

The hydra was better.

7/28/2020 12:35 pm  #17

Wait so basically the first people that were sent to the realm are still alive? So it hasn't been going for hundreds of years?

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

7/28/2020 3:53 pm  #18

Oh, it's been going on for a while. Once out of the Realm, people begin to age again, so the first people that were sent there would be dead at this point - there's just been a lot of people that have been through it. It's only in the Realm that aging stops. Sorry if stuff before was somewhat unclear.

Last edited by DarkLordRebel (7/28/2020 3:53 pm)

>ℜ𝔢ɮ𝔢𝔩<
And so I arrive!

The hydra was better.

7/28/2020 10:22 pm  #19

Oh I got the aging thing, I think I'm just confused on the "first person/people" part.

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

7/28/2020 11:58 pm  #20

Oh, misinterpretation on my part I guess.

Everyone that is a part of a singular group will be placed in the same location in the world. These locations are often far from civilization or large masses of people. The first person/people to find them out there are ones who have also been through the wonderful experiences that the Realm has to offer. Afterwards, they're usually dropped off somewhere so that some group like the police or something can deal with the hassle that is someone showing up out of the blue after having been missing for some period of time.

>ℜ𝔢ɮ𝔢𝔩<
And so I arrive!

The hydra was better.

7/30/2020 2:47 am  #21

I just rewrote the prologue to Disgraced for the second(?) time. It's the third iteration of it, so that should make two rewrites. The general idea has stayed the same, but there's been some rephrasing each time and also changes to how it ends.

I was looking through its doc history and it's almost three years old, which is kind of crazy to me. I have no clue why I chose the original font it was in, since it wasn't fun trying to read back through it.

Last edited by DarkLordRebel (7/30/2020 2:47 am)

>ℜ𝔢ɮ𝔢𝔩<
And so I arrive!

The hydra was better.

8/20/2020 3:17 pm  #22

DarkLordRebel wrote:

* The Mirr Railways were hailed as a pinnicle of advanced transportstion, and was vastly preferred to cars
     * The rails went all over Nevermoor
     * Stairs led to outside locations, while elevators signalled a station at a building
     * The trains were a fast, reliable mode of transportation, and far better than any alternatives
     * The system is currently defunct for unknown reasons

*pokes head around corner* Did someone say tRAINS

NIGHT
of the WoFMB
obsessed with trains, trucks, tractors, the like
actual farmer, 500 acres
CEO of WoFRR
JOHN DEERE IS BEST
"tractors, plows, with flashing lights"
MAGA

Board footera