The Scholastic Forums

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

3/01/2021 5:20 am  #576

Re: Galaxian's Conglomeration of Lack of Creativity (Version -∞)

Ignoring homework b/c it is 2 A.M. and instead trying to do all parts of the application thing except for the essay, which I know better than to attempt to try right now (for context, essay writing at 2 A.M. is generally horrible and if you're anyone like me, I do not recommend trying it)
And because I apparently am so busy I haven't had the time to read Hope Is a Thing with Feathers I'll read it this week and squeeze out a book report,,, ahaha poor life decisions

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Protecc: 黑小虎, Gold Saints, Run, Hajime Saitou, Heaven Chancellor, Karna, 离, Hiiragi Shinya, Violet Evergarden, 涂山容容
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how."
Birds aren't real.

3/02/2021 5:31 pm  #577

I was going to say "If I have to write another literary analysis I will literally scream," but I have to write 2 this week so.

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Protecc: 黑小虎, Gold Saints, Run, Hajime Saitou, Heaven Chancellor, Karna, 离, Hiiragi Shinya, Violet Evergarden, 涂山容容
Birds aren't real.

3/02/2021 5:35 pm  #578

Lol for the last literary analysis the thesis statement is still templated.
End me

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

3/02/2021 9:33 pm  #579

I'm trying to redo paragraphs for the literary analysis and lol I'm not sure if there's something wrong with my mind in terms of transitions/flow or if...well, I don't wanna sound excessively negative or negative at all towards others rn, so I'll leave it at that.
Mostly I want to know if my writing structure is incomprehensible for others? And no, I don't mean for these posts. I think these are mostly okay, and if they're not, I probably didn't try to make much sense.

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

3/02/2021 10:14 pm  #580

I haven't seen Gov FRQs in a semester,,, I'm probably screwed there ahaha

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

3/03/2021 2:07 am  #581

Tbh reading gives such writing inspiration
​I hope one day my writing will be as poetic, artful, and beautiful as the language I read in certain books hhhhhhh

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

3/03/2021 5:00 pm  #582

Finished the application! Mostly procrastinated on the essay (which I do not regard in a high light) but I'm not willing to wait 2 days
I might be dead in 2 days
Or my internet might be
Or I might want to rewrite again, which would not be good (finals week upcoming yay)
Or just account issues (took me 30 minutes to login today; that's a good time compared to usual)
So, the earlier the better

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

3/05/2021 2:52 pm  #583

Lol apparently my classmates are submitting papers thinking they can get away with plagiarism
Imagine sucking so much you have to plagiarize  
Actually, also imagine having the 脸 to not take a zero after plagiarizing

I may be a lazy and possibly flimsy writer, but plagiarizing is for scum lol don't take others' work as your own. Just don't. That's such a scummy thing to do

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

3/06/2021 3:26 am  #584

Okay, I'll be the first to admit I suck at summaries, but so far writing the report for Hope Is the Thing with Feathers has been quite delightful.
I need to finish the book though.

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

3/07/2021 10:14 pm  #585

Book report, literary analysis...overall, help.

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

3/08/2021 12:29 am  #586

I am proud of being an ally, but at the same time it's very exhausting to type "he/she/they is/are" or other such parts of the sentence like 6 times in the same paragraph. And the teachers here make it clear you are not to use "they are" as a substitute for the singular pronouns so,,, hopefully language changes so I can be lazy in the future lol

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

3/08/2021 12:32 am  #587

"Nevertheless" is such a nice word, but even just typing this I am recalling how some part of my subconscious wants "Evertheless" to be a word. 
"Evertheless" is headcanoned by my mind to be an insult for some reason. xD

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

3/08/2021 8:44 pm  #588

I feel like a natural inclining towards incorporating as many details as thought of in an answer only serves to slap you in AP exams
It's like, you answer everything in the first question. By the time B and C and D come up you're like "oh shOOT wAiT--"
I mean it's okay on typed exams but I can't imagine how bad it'll be on written exams,,, which, ironically, will probably be what I will have to take this year when all of my school year thus far has been online with my beautiful 100 WPM+ typing speed :]
I'm doomed lol

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

3/09/2021 2:29 am  #589

Update! Done with everything--literary analysis, book report, U.S. Gov FRQ assessment, and the application (done 5 days before lol). 
I'm looking at a pretty good grade on the literary analysis, I think, as long as I didn't screw up completely on the introduction and conclusion. An A, I think. At this point there's no changing that so lol.
Book report! I enjoyed writing it but man oh man do I suck at summaries lol, at the end it full on turned from "review" to "emotional rant" lol I love Hope Is a Thing with Feathers, please please read it if you like birds (or don't like them) or just want to realize humanity's sins and moral grayness 
Gov FRQ! We haven't done one of them in like half a semester and they're like,,, either terrible or easy, there's no in between lol. At least from what I can see so far. Oof. It's like, you either say the same things over and over again and reword the question 5 times in a row before you somewhat get it or the answer is literally instinct. I dunno. Oof.

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

3/11/2021 11:11 pm  #590

100% on the literary analysis :D
I bet my English teacher just forgot I suck at writing them lol but wow! Yay!
For celebration I shall eat dinner...after I vomit the rest of my ideas from yesterday night onto a Google Doc. I've been at it for every second since I woke up and every second I wasn't taking my finals or eating but I'm still not done, so the only thing I'm getting is either I have too many ideas (of questionable quality) or my 100 WPM or so typing speed does not suffice lol

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

3/16/2021 8:51 pm  #591

I do not recommend looking back at older writing for inspiration unless you lost self-esteem as an author. Otherwise it's like digging a hole for yourself to die in shame in
That was a horrible decision on my part anyways lol

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

3/18/2021 11:47 pm  #592

For some reason I'm horrible at describing in Chinese. English techniques either don't carry well into Chinese in the first place or I just suck at carrying them over.
Dialogue and actions are...fine. But descriptions? Nope.
Unfortunately my English writing inspiration is gone so Chinese it is for now. I'll have to translate later lol rip

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

3/22/2021 1:51 am  #593

Just found something I wrote in a GGaD planning document (lol why there, Galaxian??) in July of last year:

Most of my life has been composed of forgetfulness or regret.
For some reason, I tend to forget my experiences and filter them to the point of only remembering the harshest negatives. At the moment, I was a details person, but as time goes by, those details shrink together into a picture. Not even a big picture, really, but a vague one, an inaccurate one. 

Thinking about this often distresses me, so I don’t think about it often, not to mention write about it. And in the process, I forget. There’s a lot to forget. There’s just about as much to forget as there is to remember, perhaps even more in a way. 
People. Who they were, how they were, why they were--including myself. Who I was. How I was. Why I was like that. Events. Experiences. Words. Feelings. Places.
It terrifies me, really. I’m sure they would have liked to be remembered. I wanted to and want to be remembered. I’m sure that we all thought we would have been remembered by just being there. At least, that was how I felt. 

---

Haha I remember being super pessimistic when I wrote that, and I knew it too, I was just writing it down because that was how I felt atm.
Thank the gods I don't keep a journal every day, that'd be such a mess.

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

3/27/2021 1:17 am  #594

Please...gods. Please tell me that this is not a sign for the future

Lol tbh this is my writing tho

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

3/30/2021 7:16 pm  #595

Lol I remember in 2019 I used to hate annotating documents and now it's like the occasional printed document that I highlight and scribble on with relish
They say the grass always looks greener on the other side.

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

5/05/2021 8:10 pm  #596

I looked back at gratitude emails I sent last year and boy oh boy, I wrote them so much better than I can this year. What happened?

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

5/11/2021 12:57 am  #597

You know those typos that want to make you kick yourself back into elementary school
"tryes"

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

5/12/2021 6:53 pm  #598

I call this my writing thread, but I don't actually talk a lot about my views of writing mechanics, do I? Well, have a copy of a post from a roleplaying thread instead xD. For once, I remembered.
For context, I was talking about the character songs where the character's story is basically laid out. I really love those types of songs. So much love xD. Two of my favorite Chinese songs are in this format, and I don't have many defined favorites. So there we go xD. Onto the copied post.

I think those types of songs have a magic, and that magic comes in the fact that you don't just see the struggles of the character--you see their merits and how they handle the struggles, no matter how hard their lives have been. And while you empathize for what they've had to overcome, you also cheer them on and want them to win--and by the end, you know they do win, and they've grown, and it's not like they didn't work to gain either of them. So in general it's just feeling for the character and feeling happiness and sadness with them, instead of just hearing the sad parts.
You know, I feel like if a character is too centered around sadness as an attempt to garner sympathy for them, it actually goes wrong a lot of the time. People might think of them as edgy or unrealistic or pessimistic to a fault. And yeah, I understand that depression and other factors that people can't control exist, but that isn't really an excuse for them not doing anything to change their situation. Those factors make it harder to seek that initiative, of course, undoubtedly. But if those factors are the reason that the initiative isn't even sought to begin with, then it's more likely to earn scorn or, less extremely so, a neutral outlook on the character. Meanwhile, those who try (and have decent and fleshed-out personalities, of course) tend to be cheered on. At least, that's what I've seen thus far. 
Tragedy can be nice for writing purposes, but not if it's only for the purpose of the writer's fulfillment. Ultimately, it's supposed to say something about the character/s, or the story/the world (whether the fictional one or the real one, or maybe even both) as a whole. If it doesn't do that, and angst is just there for angst, then it's just a failure. That's the case even if the narrator has something to say but isn't able to show it and make it personal for the characters and the reader.
I'm saying all of that because one of my favorite songs kinda has this--the tragedy is there, and it's very extreme, but it has a reason behind it. So, while I don't necessarily cheer on the angst, I also don't mind it and actually think it's quite meaningful. 
Anyways, this is a huge point I need to work on, especially on the messages part. I'm actually not sure how much others interpret the messages I try to put in, and frankly I don't think I've tried enough thus far (and there's not enough to synthesize the messages at the moment, anyways). But no matter what, I need to work on making it personal not just for me, and thus meaningful for others as well. Improvement is a process! And now I go back to homework land. 

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

5/18/2021 11:40 am  #599

I wrote a poem that's essentially just all myth allusions and "stupidity is a disease and thanks I hate it, but anyways I think we were supposed to be talking self-improvement? Uh I guess I'll get over that view someday. Not today though."

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

6/14/2021 6:26 pm  #600

Realizing I can write again OwO

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Birds aren't real.

Board footera