The Scholastic Forums

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

7/18/2021 2:54 am  #1

~ the border between past and future ~ | Prank's Homethread

Hey guys!! It's been too long, but I'm finally here and posting! I'm a SAMB vet (late 2013): Prank, aka BrownWolf123. I made an account back in May but just when I was preparing to attempt posting here, something happened with boardhost and then I forgot for awhile.

It means so much people were able to make a new SAMB/Scholastic Forums, even if it's not entirely the same or as bustling. Idk how active I'll be, but I know there's some things I wanna notify the peeps here on every once in awhile.

The first is what brought me here in the first place: I've been working on r/HobbyDrama write-ups about major SAMB events because some of them seemed interesting enough to research and relive. I recently completed the draft for my first one, which is about the CatSpirit War (renamed FelineSoul War because I wasn't 100% comfortable with using actual nicknames/users in the write-up itself besides my own). I most likely will post the draft either in this homethread or in a writing thread for y'all to look over before it's officially published on Hobby Drama.

Second thing is I'm rebooting my long-running skit show about my SAMB self insert and her character gang. The rewriting is taking awhile, but among revamping the old episodes I'll also be adding new story arcs throughout. It'll officially be published on AO3, but I might use this homethread to discuss it as a motivational tactic.

Anyway, this is my first time actually setting up a homethread, but it seems like a good place to start on the forums. I'll definitely be using this to update on the SAMB-related projects and discuss history.

-Prank (god posting in the good ole maroon again...it's too moving for me to really express with words)

I'm Prank from the SAMB. Currently doing historical research. Will not be pasting my old signature due to length.

7/18/2021 3:26 am  #2

Re: ~ the border between past and future ~ | Prank's Homethread

Actually just an add-on:

If anyone could explain some of the culture of homethreads and the writing subforums, that'd be helpful. This is not just my first time on boardhost - I think it's my first true forum experience since the SAMB? (I say "true" because I quickly abandoned most other endeavors)

I'm Prank from the SAMB. Currently doing historical research. Will not be pasting my old signature due to length.

7/18/2021 9:18 am  #3

It’s pretty much the same as the old forums but without a filter. Not sure what you mean by culture. Hope you like it here.

Zzzzura 
Administrator

7/18/2021 11:37 am  #4

Hey there. I'm pretty sure we've never met. I'm Time from the WoFMB. Nice to see you here!

While this place isn't very active as it used to be, I hope you enjoy your stay!

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

7/18/2021 2:12 pm  #5

Hey Prank! I'm Galaxian from the SAMB. The nickname's short for Galaxian Explosion; username was scarletdragon3016. I was on the forums from June of 2018 to their closure. I do believe I remember your skits and look forward to seeing them again. It's always nice to read something by a fellow writer, anyhow! I also feel like the maroon is characteristic, but I honestly forgot who it belonged to. I hope I'm remembering correctly. (Your username seems familiar too??? I guess that helps add validation.)
Dude, your pfp brings back so much nostalgia lol, anyone who's not a forumer probably wouldn't believe it.
For your questions, it's kinda like Zura said, but I'll add some specification if needed, not that I'll do a good job since I'm bad at explaining and there isn't much to explain, I think. For homethreads, it's just forumers' own places to chill. They can post whatever as long as it abides with forum rules. As for the writing subforums, I guess just refer to the names and post writing where it's applicable. If it's inapplicable in the other categories, it'll be in the remaining one. For instance, Story Signups is quite straightforward as a name--it's where you post signup threads for stories so that others can make forms for them. As such, threads you post on there contain synopses as well as form formats, and contains form acceptance. Then, Share Your Writing is also quite straightforward. It's where you post said stories. Notably, however, you need not have a corresponding thread in Story Signups to post in Share Your Writing. Plenty of writing is made of one's own characters, for instance, which would negate the need for a signup thread. Finally, I think of Writing Discussions as the miscellaneous category--if what you're posting is neither a signup thread or the actual writing but related to the writing you have posted/will post, then it goes there. Personally, I use the place for my writing thread (though not my ideas one, as that one is much more personal).
If you need more clarification, let me know. I hope that helped.

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Protecc: 黑小虎, Gold Saints, Run, Hajime Saitou, Heaven Chancellor, Karna, 离, Hiiragi Shinya, Violet Evergarden, 涂山容容
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how."
Birds aren't real.

7/18/2021 9:27 pm  #6

Thanks for the welcomes!

@General Zura
It was a weird word choice, but I meant like how y'all use them.

@Galaxian
Your name's also a bit familiar, but I don't remember if we interacted. I went with my SAMB pfp to help with recognition, although with all the customization freedom here (compared to the old forums) I might change it down the line.
So based on the explanation, if I wanted to share my SAMB write-up drafts for forumers to critique and offer advice, would that better suit my homethread, a writing thread in Writing Discussions, or a thread in Share Your Writing? The drafts would be subject to changes depending on input, which is where most of my conflict of where it would belong lies.

-Prank

7/18/2021 9:47 pm  #7

I can't clearly recall a specific instance where we interacted one-on-one, oof, but iirc, you might've offered to include me in one of the skits once along with some other forumers. I could entirely be wrong, however.
Personally, I feel like what you're saying depends on your level of comfort, then. Typically, I see Share Your Writing as a final draft sharing place, but I can totally see it being in the forum if you're comfortable with it. The only thing I can think of in addition to this is that if the writing isn't connected and is scattered, then maybe you don't want it on Share Your Writing for that reason. Your homethread is somewhat similar in that it's your place, so you can post it here if you want/are comfortable with it, but I gotta say, I'm not sure if feedback would be as easily provided here as they would on a Writing subforum (as homethreads are more general than writing threads, and so it could be hard to commentate after new posts have been made on the homethread before someone is able to comment on the writing). Overall, from my own experience, I definitely recommend posting on the Writing section at least, both for personal and organizational purposes. If you're comfortable with it being on Share Your Writing, then that's okay; but if you're not sure about that, I would recommend Writing Discussions. I don't see input being much of an issue on either Writing subforum, but that also depends on whether you plan to use your homethread for other types of posts.
But the above is what I think. I might be a mod, but I'm not entirely sure. What Zura says likely takes higher tier than what I say.

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Protecc: 黑小虎, Gold Saints, Run, Hajime Saitou, Heaven Chancellor, Karna, 离, Hiiragi Shinya, Violet Evergarden, 涂山容容
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how."
Birds aren't real.

7/18/2021 10:42 pm  #8

Yeah, I had the same kind of impression with Share Your Writing, and with which option would be easier for feedback. I think I might make a whole thread dedicated to the write-up projects then - not just for feedback on drafts, but maybe also to open up the process of researching/drafting to any who wanna contribute or just wanna know how I came to certain conclusions on the timeline.

This is my first homethread so I'm still unsure of what I wanna do with it. I'll probably wait and look at others' for examples until I find ideas that call to me.

-Prank

7/18/2021 11:14 pm  #9

GalaxianExplosion wrote:

I can't clearly recall a specific instance where we interacted one-on-one, oof, but iirc, you might've offered to include me in one of the skits once along with some other forumers. I could entirely be wrong, however.
Personally, I feel like what you're saying depends on your level of comfort, then. Typically, I see Share Your Writing as a final draft sharing place, but I can totally see it being in the forum if you're comfortable with it. The only thing I can think of in addition to this is that if the writing isn't connected and is scattered, then maybe you don't want it on Share Your Writing for that reason. Your homethread is somewhat similar in that it's your place, so you can post it here if you want/are comfortable with it, but I gotta say, I'm not sure if feedback would be as easily provided here as they would on a Writing subforum (as homethreads are more general than writing threads, and so it could be hard to commentate after new posts have been made on the homethread before someone is able to comment on the writing). Overall, from my own experience, I definitely recommend posting on the Writing section at least, both for personal and organizational purposes. If you're comfortable with it being on Share Your Writing, then that's okay; but if you're not sure about that, I would recommend Writing Discussions. I don't see input being much of an issue on either Writing subforum, but that also depends on whether you plan to use your homethread for other types of posts.
But the above is what I think. I might be a mod, but I'm not entirely sure. What Zura says likely takes higher tier than what I say.

-Galaxian-

^^^Galaxian finding the words I can't haha

Writing Discussions is typically for WIPs and talking about your writing. You might have a brainstorming thread there or ramble about your projects at 3 a.m.

Share Your Writing is for finished pieces. Maybe you post the text in full or share a link to it.

You can use the forums for whatever, though. It doesn't really matter. And we have the ability to move topics, so if something belongs in another category, it's no big deal.

Zzzzura 
Administrator

7/18/2021 11:16 pm  #10

Well, you just post whatever you like here. It's your homethread after all. Post your thoughts, ideas, creative things, whatever you like!

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

7/18/2021 11:26 pm  #11

@General Zura
Ah thanks!

@Time
The opportunities are endless here, it's almost overwhelming. But an exciting type of overwhelming! There's a lot lil old tween Prank could only dream of doing back at the SAMB.

7/20/2021 10:01 am  #12

I just really wanted to throw this out somewhere, I love this

7/20/2021 10:30 am  #13

what a descriptive passage

never knew crows had no upper teeth

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

7/27/2021 7:20 am  #14

If I could say anything to convince people to at least binge Arcadum's Ink and Blood D&D campaign (only four episode rn, ~3 hours each, including the wait time before the session + fan creation showcase), I wouldn't actually say anything, I'd just put this song on:

https://youtu.be/i1j9GTfAkvw (profanity warning: some f-bombs)

Also episode four is my favorite so far. A domino effect of asking the right questions and Jerry being Jerry caused a dramatic plot hook to turn into a massive plot-twist lore dump which turned into tense RP that just barely didn't become PvP and it was so hilarious. It was so hilarious to see Elliot's stubborn dedication to his duty/ideals almost lead to PvP get juxtaposed to Jerry picking up a youkai spider and yelling at their Time Warden paladin that it did time crimes. There's just like a melodramatic clashing of party ideals and then "ARREST THIS SPIDER". And it just perfectly ends with the DM cackling into the mic over Jerry asking the Time Warden "hey how can I time travel" and nearly causing party inner-conflict round 2.

-Prank

7/28/2021 1:49 am  #15

Dude I used to be an Arcadum fan.

I even bought the endgame hoodie for the previous Violet arc. I used to watch as many of his games as possible and find all the connections and loved all the character crossovers and everything.

But ever sense around the prologue of the Glies arc I've definitely fell out with his stuff

Last edited by Time (7/28/2021 1:49 am)

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

7/28/2021 7:37 pm  #16

Time wrote:

Dude I used to be an Arcadum fan.

I even bought the endgame hoodie for the previous Violet arc. I used to watch as many of his games as possible and find all the connections and loved all the character crossovers and everything.

But ever sense around the prologue of the Glies arc I've definitely fell out with his stuff

I've only been watching Ink and Blood because I'm a ChilledChaos fan and heard he'd be part of it. But it's definitely got me intrigued so even when the campaign is over, I might at least turn my attention to the rest of the Glies stuff, if not all the content available online.

8/11/2021 4:40 pm  #17

I think I might become in danger of getting addicted to writing drabbles. I made a double drabble after pulling Sayu on Genshin about scenarios between her and Mamizou from Touhou (because y'know, tanuki/mujina), and now I have a whole list of future Touhou x Genshin drabbles to do. And I just got an idea a few minutes ago about a drabble collection for the main OMORI characters...

I'm never gonna finish a WIP ever again, am I? I'm just stuck with new ideas and drabbles now, aren't I?

-Prank

8/11/2021 5:30 pm  #18

I was a big fan of the Kalkatesh stuff before that. But now, not really.

Tbh the best way to watch is to watch in chronological order of release, so if anything that creates a ripple effect in any of the campaigns makes more sense.

Have there been any like, crossovers yet? Any old character appearances or something? In the series you'ved watch? Or heard about?

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

8/11/2021 10:37 pm  #19

Time wrote:

I was a big fan of the Kalkatesh stuff before that. But now, not really.

Tbh the best way to watch is to watch in chronological order of release, so if anything that creates a ripple effect in any of the campaigns makes more sense.

Have there been any like, crossovers yet? Any old character appearances or something? In the series you'ved watch? Or heard about?

In Glies? Not yet much that I'm aware. Still sticking to Ink and Blood for the time being. There were some mentions in Ink and Blood of an PC from another ongoing campaign that caused Twitch chat to flip out - and because of shenanigans within Episode 5 (aka the best and most entertaining of Ink and Blood yet), there is a possibility of Jerry appearing in I think The Divine Wind. But if he does he'll risk the wrath of the Time Goddess and Babylon due to an oath he made to the resident Time Paladin.

As for old character appearances, besides some followers of Crowley among the PCs, there was a servant of the last cyclops that made an appearance in Ink and Blood Episode 4 who dropped some lore bombs about stuff from the previous arc.

8/12/2021 7:50 pm  #20

Raquel? Yeah I kinda like her. She got time powers. That's cool.

Sucks that if I would have ever had a lw character he'd probably be opposed with her (not that I would have one by this point, bc you know, not interested anymore. Plus it probably costs much more than being subbed now).

Tbh I preferred the traditional dnd deity system that Kalkatesh had compared to what I saw/heard of the deity system in Glies through games and concept/glies development streams. Even if what I saw wasn't too much... has anything interesting happened with them? The yokai or anything or like sorts?

Oh also, was that servant a three eyed minotaur?

Last edited by Time (8/12/2021 8:18 pm)

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

8/12/2021 10:52 pm  #21

Time wrote:

Raquel? Yeah I kinda like her. She got time powers. That's cool.

Sucks that if I would have ever had a lw character he'd probably be opposed with her (not that I would have one by this point, bc you know, not interested anymore. Plus it probably costs much more than being subbed now).

Tbh I preferred the traditional dnd deity system that Kalkatesh had compared to what I saw/heard of the deity system in Glies through games and concept/glies development streams. Even if what I saw wasn't too much... has anything interesting happened with them? The yokai or anything or like sorts?

Oh also, was that servant a three eyed minotaur?

I'm probably not the best person to ask rn, since I'm still only on Ink and Blood and didn't watch any of the development streams besides Ink and Blood's session 0. We do have some yozai PCs (human-youkai hybrids), like Ral in I&B. Currently I&B is focused on world-building the Onmyoji and the Black Library - basically the containment of akuma that can't be destroyed. There was some namedropping of the main akuma who appears to be the main big bad of the current arc - Otikata - after Kouki accidentally peered into a cursed book about him and Tiri and Jerry locked eyes with him when using a fate-seeing loom and seeing all the potential bad endings of each current campaign.

But so far in I&B the only deity-worshipping PCs are Tiri the Time Paladin, Kouki as an unwilling follower of Crowley, and Elliot as a follower of a god-I-can't-remember-the-name-of who opposes the undead (pretty sure that one isn't a Glies deity).

I also dunno what lw character means or what you're costs you're talking 'bout. I'm that much of a newbie to this.

And the servant appeared to be a new character based off of the discussions I saw in the chat and subreddit. She was a human/humanoid who got turned into a spider yokai after coming to Glies and was gifted the fate-seeing ability and loom to keep the art alive since - if I remember the lore drop correctly - it was confirmed in that last conversation that the last of the cyclops are dead following the big war that keeps getting referenced.

8/12/2021 11:59 pm  #22

Don't speak the old magic to me, I was there when it was written (litterally).

Races were a thing that the artists and arcadum went over during concept streams. Yozai are actually pretty cool. Ngl. I loved the idea. Kinda sucks that they replace teiflings in Glies though, so no Glien born teiflings, but it still makes sense.

Oh yeah, I am mostly aware of the general ideas of the campaigns, even if I didn't watch them or am very much distanced away from it now. Another perk of watching the planning/concept streams.

Well, Elliot most likely is a follower of the Green Pantheon, since they are all against death. However, I'm putting my bets on it being Lorn because he's the coolest (imo) and has the most emphasis out of them for death.

Dang Xetor dead? Are you sure?? The last of the cyclops?

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

8/13/2021 12:01 am  #23

BrownWolf123 wrote:

the big war that keeps getting referenced.

Oh, also the big war being referenced, was the previous arc/story. I forgot the name it has been given, but I'll call it "The War of the Seven" It lasted from essentially the very beginning of when Arcadum started to DM to before the Glies arc (which I believe is about 17 years?). However, we were only able to see like, the last 2 years of games before the ending, as that is when he started to stream. As you probably already know, the war came to an end 50 in-game years ago by now (a few months in real-time).

Note that whenever you hear a female voice doing some opera singing about hope or something, that means it's important. It's also a direct reference to the "War of the Seven", however, what it is referencing might've not been on stream or anything, and possibly new content to viewers.

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

8/13/2021 12:34 am  #24

BrownWolf123 wrote:

I also dunno what lw character means or what you're costs you're talking 'bout. I'm that much of a newbie to this. 

Don't worry, this makes sense since you've dropped in during the Glies arc. The Living World (LW) is probably inactive or doing stuff that doesn't really matter as of now.

As you know how character interactions can affect other campaigns, The Living World can do so as well. It can effect the live, streamed campaigns, and the streamed campaigns can affect the offline Living World as well.

Now, what is The Living World? Well, when Arcadum was small, he wanted his viewers to participate. So for being subbed to his channel, you had the opportunity to submit a D&D character (and hopefully have it accepted) to play in his world with your actions being cannon. It consisted of text rping in the discord, and actual D&D sessions hosted by either Arcadum himself, or some of his close DMs. Your weight had as much impact as the stream characters. Well, at least when Arcadum was small.

An example of the LW affecting the stream games and vice versa is the Dilating One Boss fight: A violet servent fight where a character's actions elsewhere could affect the tides of the battle. The LW was in charge of fighting DIO, and had two 6 man teams, with 10 backup fighters (if I remember correctly). However, only one of those characters was actually a streamed game character, and even he was a backup for the main fighting teams. Even if this was actually later on when Arcadum was bigger, it still proves my point. Actions that stream characters did while doing their part in the war affected the adventurers fighting against DIO.

When Arcadum grew bigger, however, there were so many applications and adventurers joining The Living World, that it became increasingly hard to handle. This was due to the sheer size, Arcadum's not-so-best management, and the LW's system meant for smaller groups. With this, many things that the LW wished to do and such had much less of an impact than the stream games. A real example of the LW's ineffectiveness is a LW character working very hard to create a shield, it took months and hard work the player (and the character) for this to get through the system. However, in the end, his shield was destroyed quite effortlessly, or not even given to him at all. I do not exactly remember the specifics, but you still get my point.

Due to some members pointing this out to Arcadum, and him not taking criticism some drama wamma yada yada yada, I'm assuming he decided it was time to revise the LW. So as of current, the LW's actions are most likely: set in the just after of  "The War of the Seven", Non-canon in Glies, or not active at all. I wouldn't know because I haven't checked in a very long while, but those are my gueses.

The LW however is scheduled to make a reappearance/play a roll in the second act of the story and onwards. I have forgotten the name of the campaign that the LW will be going under (however it's not really a campaign with how many LW players are probably going get in, is it?). The second  act starts around when the main two campaigns reach about episode 20 or so (if everything in all campaigns is going to plan)

The reason why I say costs is probably the new revised version of the LW will cost more than a sub to Arcadum. I would assume to help with how many of applicants they get and such per character wave, I'm guessing the cost of getting into the LW is much higher now, you probably have to pay a Patreon or something. That's what I heard was the most likely scenario before I left (and the most reasonable one too imo).

Last edited by Time (8/13/2021 12:39 am)

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

8/13/2021 12:37 am  #25

Woah I wrote a lot, sorry about that... 

Do you require a TL;DR?

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

Board footera