The Scholastic Forums

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

8/04/2020 1:05 pm  #1

Midnight City |•| A FWRP by Rune

Introduction-
If it's one thing Midnight City is known for, it's being the largest cave settlement known to mankind. 

People were first sent to live underground when the demand for precious jewels and metal were high. They so spent much of their time mining, that it didn't take long for a large cavern to be sculpted. Builders were then sent to help make homes for those who worked in the mines, and before long, a city was standing. 

Now, some 150 years later, Midnight City is bustling with people and is an exotic place to anyone above ground; skyscrapers crafted out of a glowing rock tower as high as they dare to go, farms grow strange and unique foods, and -- unsurprisingly -- mines harvest copious amounts of metals and gemstones, leading to spectacularly decorated roadways and buildings.

Information-
{Don't be surprised if I result in making an entirely separate thread to dump a bunch of world building trivia XD. My homethread is already filled with it. You're more than welcome to skim this bit!}

Government & Social Classes
Midnight City is ruled by a president sorta like a king. The leader basically has four years to rule the entirety of the underground cities, and once that time is up everyone votes.
>> If enough people liked them as president, he'll stay ruler for the rest of his life. Once they die, the ruling is passed on to their child, who has four years to prove their worth.
>> If they are not liked, then the next four years is in the hands of the next child or a close family member. It's rare that the ruling line stupes down to let someone not part of the presidential family to have a try ruling, but not unheard of. 

The basic social classes fall into this order:
President 
Presidential Family
Dukes/Duchesses -- they're basically governors
Lords/Ladies -- especially mayors and also anyone in the military
The Higher Working Class -- people with trading jobs, entertainers, etc. Usually viewed as people with easier, safe jobs.
The Lower Working Class -- people who work in the mines, farmers, etc. Viewed as people with physically taxing jobs and sometimes a lack of safety.
>> There are no rules about which class you can marry
>> At the end of senior year, there is a long test every student takes. In the end, it decides the social class you fall into, however it does not decide a job. People of the higher classes are welcome to enroll in any jobs that lower classes can have too. Until a student has taken the test, their class is the same as their parents'. 
>>> Duke/Duchess: 89-100%
>>> Lord/Lady: 78-88%
>>> Higher Working Class: 67-77%
>>> Lower Working Class: 66% and below

The more glowing paint on a person, the richer they are!
>> The most common colors of paint are a vibrant green, teal, purple, and pink. However, the paints come in just about any color!
>> The paints are harvested from glowing mushrooms
>> There's different markings suggested for each class, which are described as below:
>>> President & family: Four to five dots that more or less curve with the shape of the eye, two lines under the eye, and an arrow at the corner farthest from the nose; rarely any extra designs
>>> Dukes/Duchesses: Two to three dots that curve with the shape of the eye, a pair of lines that cross each other under the eye, and typically the pattern can be seen around both eyes; usually have supplemental designs
>>> Lords/Ladies: One dot right next to the nose but right under the eyebrow, two lines under the eyes that slowly connect together, the pattern is only worn under one eye; commonly an additional design
>>> Higher Working Class: Two lines under the right or left eye; occasionally the extra design or two
>>> Lower Working Class: A singular line under the right or left eye; no extra designs 
>>> Extra designs are always in a much thinner brush, and tend to be very detailed. The designs can range from an extra star to an elaborately drawn flower. Sometimes they'll be in other colors.
>> The glowing paints are most commonly put on for festivals or important days. These important days range anywhere from birthdays to holidays to even just the first day of school!

Locations
Presidential Palace -- As the name suggests, it's the palace that's home to the president, their family, and some of the most trusted dukes or duchesses. Carved into the stone of the cavern, this palace rests alone on the top of a ledge above Midnight City. The walls of the palace are covered with glowing moss and fungi. 

Snow Shore High School -- Snow Shore High School is perhaps the most popular school in the city. Scuplted out of a glowing white crystal and steel, it's a truly breathtaking high school. 
>> The grading system at Snow Shore works just like it does in real life. People in 9th grade tend to be 14-15 years old, those in 10th are usually 15-16, people in 11th are 16-17, and lastly those in 12th grade are 17-18. 

Lantern Forest -- Just outside the borders of Midnight City is a large forest where glowing mushrooms grow to be as big as houses. Most of the forest consists of mushrooms emitting a golden yellow light. Many strange creatures reside here, including large bugs, lizards without eyes, and glowing fish hidden in pools of water. 

Twilight Square -- Towards the most northern part of the city, a large, open square sits almost beneath the Presidential Palace. Shaped like a diamond, there are four main streets that connect to the square {one at each corner}, but there are several smaller paths as well. Near the center of the square is a large pillar topped with shimmerstone. Small stores and carts line the streets.

{I might add more to this list later, but I'll bump the thread if there's ever an update for locations. That, or it'll be listed on the information thread if I make one}

Abilities
There's three main abilities that have aroused during the 150 years humankind has been living in the caves, but not everyone will have one. 
>> The first is echolocation. Like bats, some people will have the ability to make high pitched sounds most others won't be able to hear. By the way sounds bounce back, it will help create a mental image of what's ahead.
>> The second is the ability to glow. It's just as simplistic as it sounds; all, none, or bits of a person can glow. Usually, people only glow one color.
>> Lastly, some people have the ability to know exactly what type of rock or metal there is just by touching it. People with this ability also tend to have instinctive directions, and can easily navigate even dark passageways. 

Miscellaneous
With metals, gemstones, and stone being so common, a sign of wealth is wood. Those who have the money will often wear wooden jewelry, sometimes masks, flaunt their wooden furniture, and lastly will sometimes have wooden carvings... usually of themselves. 

It should be of no surprise that people find Midnight City to be perhaps the richest in the entire world

Without many plants aside from mushrooms, artists have sculpted trees, flowers, and bushes out of gemstones or glowing crystals!

Bats are a common house pet!

Rules-
> Please refrain from swearing throughout the FWRP. This also means no homophobic or racial slurs of any kind. 
> No perfect characters 
> Hate the character, not the forumer
> Please put "sunrise" in the other section of the form
> Please, please erase all of the parentheses from the form before you submit it. 
> Details aren't mandatory for the ability section of the form, but I'd greatly appreciate it if you did add some. 
> At the moment, I'm the only one who will be able to accept and critique forms
> Make whatever you've put in the other section your character's PoV color -- if they have one, that is
> If you've got any questions about the FWRP, you're more than welcome to PM me or bug me on my homethread or this thread! I'll answer as soon as I can
> The only limited spots are for the Presidential Family. Currently, there's one more spot open for anyone who would want to make a child of the President. {There's five spots in total, but Astra, Marshal, Nightwolf and I have all taken a spot.} Oh! And before I forget to add this, the President's last name is Monstrone. 

Form-
{° stands for optional bits}
{Also I didn't want to make two separate forms for like a student and adults because really there's little to no difference in the form XD. Feel free to erase bits that don't apply, like the job for students who don't have one, or the grade if you're making an adult}

Name:
°Nickname{s}:
Gender/Pronouns:
Sexuality:
Class {Duke/Duchess, Lord/Lady, etc}:

Appearance:
Clothing Preference:
Personality:
°Likes:
°Dislikes:

°Backstory:
°Job/Career?:
°Ability {Please read the section "Abilities" in "Information"}:
°Crush/Shippable?:
Other:

My form will be posted soon!

Last edited by Rune01 (8/12/2020 9:49 pm)

8/04/2020 1:17 pm  #2

Re: Midnight City |•| A FWRP by Rune

👀 ooh, bookmark!!

Autumn (Librarian)
she / her | kinda a nerd
hello :D hope you're having a good day

"The true sky, and songs that cageless soar
Were they not wishes worth fighting for?"

8/04/2020 1:43 pm  #3

bookmark!

~Thunderstorm~
she/they | writer | cat lover | chaotic tired
abyss and revenant
"Just a little time... just a little something else instead..."

8/04/2020 1:44 pm  #4

alsklaldsklLAKSLDFJSLDF

I didn't realize you had this out I'll make a form(s) as soon as I can cause I'm going out right now!!

[/Astra|Evergreen\]
She/Her
s l e e p

wow i exist??

8/04/2020 2:17 pm  #5

bookmark!!

kat !
any prns

8/04/2020 3:22 pm  #6

{I might submit another character, but this is it for now}

Name: Astra Monstrone

°Nickname{s}: none
°Grade: 11
Gender/Pronouns: Female, She/Her
Sexuality: Straight
Class: Presidential Family (?)

Appearance: She's 5 7" 1/2, but likes to tell people she's 5 "8 or 5 9" if they ask. Astra is pale, and has freckles around her cheek and nose area. She has long, brown hair that's somehow in the middle between light and dark, and she likes to cover different parts of it in paint. Her eyes are a light-grayish blue, with a little bit of yellow around the pupil. She's strong and graceful from years of dancing, but could not run 2 miles for the life of her. She takes the facial paint as a suggestion, and usually paints wherever and whatever designs she wants/is feeling at the time.
Clothing Preference: She likes to wear flashy, extravagant clothes in bright colors. Astra's usual outfit is a black holographic top, with a brightly colored jacket, and some form of pants. {She hates dresses/skirts.} She has an uncarved piece of wood on a string as a necklace from when she found it in the Lantern Forest. {see backstory}

Personality:  Astra is outgoing with everyone, preferring to fill any silence she deems awkward. She's very friendly, but doesn't like to talk about herself much for fear of being vain. She loves any friends she has, and always wants more, but is usually not willing to start the conversation, however once they get going she tries to keep the other person feeling included. {She also loves to joke and be witty} She likes to be positive around others at all times, and doesn't like to show her "vulnerable" side, so if she is feeling sad that day she'll usually wait until she's alone to let her emotions out. She is very stubborn and determined, and will not stop until she deems whatever it is she is working on perfect {If that makes sense lol}, and Astra is firm in what she believes/thinks about things and will not let someone influence her about them.
°Likes: Shiny things, the Palace Gardens, exploring the Lantern Forest, talking, reading, food, dancing
°Dislikes: The cold, darkness/dark places, people who are annoying, skipping meals

°Backstory: She has always been a explorer, and she loves to sneak out into the Lantern Forest, dreaming of a place where no one has been but her. Astra also wants to discover and meet all the creatures in it because they fascinate her.
°Job/Career?: Astra wants to become a contemporary dancer
°Ability: She doesn't know it yet, but if she goes into pure darkness and is aware {not trying to go to sleep}, her hair will glow bright turquoise. {Just imagine Rapunzel's hair but turquoise}
°Crush/Shippable?: yES
Other: Sunrise

Last edited by Astra (8/04/2020 3:57 pm)

[/Astra|Evergreen\]
She/Her
s l e e p

wow i exist??

8/04/2020 3:38 pm  #7

@Astra -- This is my fault for forgetting to out the information in, but the President's last name is Monstrone. Once you fix Astra's last name, she'll be accepted!

8/04/2020 3:58 pm  #8

Edited!

[/Astra|Evergreen\]
She/Her
s l e e p

wow i exist??

8/04/2020 4:02 pm  #9

Awesome, thanks! She's accepted!

8/04/2020 4:38 pm  #10

Bookmark!

-Galaxian-

Galaxian Explosion
Protecc: 黑小虎, Gold Saints, Run, Hajime Saitou, Heaven Chancellor, Karna, 离, Hiiragi Shinya, Violet Evergarden, 涂山容容
"He who has a why to live can bear almost any how."
Birds aren't real.

8/04/2020 4:51 pm  #11

alright, here you go!

Name: Vixen Ashburn 
°Nickname{s}:  None (for now)
°Grade: 10
Gender/Pronouns: Non-Binary (they/them)
Sexuality: Demipansexual
Class: Duke/Dutchess (since their parents are in the Duke/Dutchess class)
Appearance: Vixen has dark brown, wavy, chin-length hair with red dyed at the tips. Their eyes are a shade of amber. Their skin is slightly tanned, and their build is more on the lankier and slightly taller side, being around 5’6.” They don’t have many freckles on their face, but they do have some on their arms and legs. When they’re wearing glowing paint, it’s usually either red or gold.
Clothing Preference: Vixen dresses pretty casually and plainly. Sweatshirts and yoga pants are a favorite of theirs, but they also wear bomber jackets, t-shirts, jeans, and leggings as well. Her jackets and shirts are usually either red or orange, while her pants are usually either blue or black. She also has a wooden mask that she wears almost all the time, either on her face or off to the side of her face: it’s somewhat similar to a kitsune or fox mask in design, painted a deep shade of red with gold accents. 
Personality: Vixen seems to be quite timid and shy at a first glance. They’re typically rather reserved and quiet, and their nose is typically in a book, whether it be a novel or a sketchbook. Vixen is pretty observant and aware of their surroundings and is rather good at concealing their emotions and what they’re thinking… without their mask on, that is. With their mask, they seem to be much more confident and talkative, and reveal themself as an adventurous trickster of sorts, who can be rather short-tempered and rebellious with an appreciation for jokes. They like to explore and learn about the creatures and gemstones in the Lantern Forest and aboveground (for the creatures, specifically).
°Likes: Books, drawing, exploring, jokes and pranks, creatures, and gemstones.
°Dislikes: High expectations, not being able to wear their mask, politics, small spaces, and being forced to do something they don’t want to do. 
°Backstory: Vixen was adopted by a pair of Duchesses, and one of those Duchesses crafted and gave them their fox mask. However, as they grew older, more and more rules and expectations were put on their plate, and they became more rebellious as they grew older, often going to the Lantern Forest to explore and hide out when there were political meetings to attend. They also gained more curiosity for the aboveground world and creatures while reading books and exploring.
°Job/Career?: Wants to become either an entertainer or an explorer.
°Ability: Echolocation -- Pretty standard echolocation, all things considered. Vixen can make a high-pitched noise that bounces back, which they can use to make a mental image of their surroundings. They usually use it for exploring… or for pranks.
°Crush/Shippable?: no crush yet, but yes to shipping!
Other: sunrise
, pov color

Last edited by SongOfStorms (8/12/2020 6:57 pm)

~Thunderstorm~
she/they | writer | cat lover | chaotic tired
abyss and revenant
"Just a little time... just a little something else instead..."

8/04/2020 5:08 pm  #12

@Thunderstorm -- accepted! It seems I keep forgetting to add a couple of things, so I went back and added it into the information, but until they take the test at the end of senior year, a child's class is the same as their parents. 

8/04/2020 6:11 pm  #13

Name: Marshall Monstrone
°Grade {9-12}: 12
Gender/Pronouns: Male, he/him
Sexuality: Bisexual
Class: Presidential Family

Appearance: Around 6 feet tall, with pale skin. His arms are toned and muscular, but the rest of his body is slightly chubby. He has messy black hair which constantly gets in his silver eyes. 
Clothing Preference: Marshall's clothing style is very plain. He rarely wears face paint unless he's forced to for a special occasion. He typically wears jeans, a plain t shirt, and a fleece jacket. He has several necklaces, each with an uncarved mineral or gemstone on a gold chain, and he wears a different one each day.

Personality: Marshall is a very introverted and introspective person would much rather spend his time alone in a cave than dealing with the constant politics of being part of the presidential family. He has a small friend group that he enjoys hanging out with, outside of that he tends to be very quiet and reserved. While he's too polite to simply walk away from a conversation, he is very uncomfortable talking to new people. Marshall is intelligent, he understands the value of hard work, and he respects anyone who is willing to work for what they want. He also has a habit of talking to rocks.
°Likes: Solitude, caves, minerals, house music, hard-working people
°Dislikes: Politics, talking to strangers, rock music (it's false advertising).

°Backstory: Marshall's father is constantly lecturing him, telling him he needs to get more involved in politics so he can become a duke or a lord, but Marshall is completely uninterested in the life of a nobleman. He's considered intentionally flunking the test just to get his father to leave him alone. 
°Job/Career?: He wants to become a miner or explorer
°Ability: When he touches the wall of a cave he can sense the nearby rock formations and mineral veins. He claims he can feel what the rocks are "thinking". He has a good spatial memory and can use the layout of minerals as landmarks when navigating a cave
°Crush/Shippable?: mayhaps

Call me Marshall. Or Hungry, as that usually describes me.

"Chaos is only an enemy if you're unable to adapt"
-Шухрат Кессикбаев

Dealer of cursed artifacts

Chaotic Neutral energy

T̢h̛e v͝͝oi͜d̷̛ í̶s͘͜͞ ͢͠l̀͞o̵v͝ȩl̛y̸̢,̕͢ ̢̀h͡ǫ҉ṕ̶ ̵͟͏o̧n ҉̛i҉n̷̡

8/04/2020 6:22 pm  #14

@Marshall, accepted! I was actually also planning to be making a 17-year-old daughter of the President, so I guess they'll just have to be twins XD

8/04/2020 7:14 pm  #15

Works for me 👍

Call me Marshall. Or Hungry, as that usually describes me.

"Chaos is only an enemy if you're unable to adapt"
-Шухрат Кессикбаев

Dealer of cursed artifacts

Chaotic Neutral energy

T̢h̛e v͝͝oi͜d̷̛ í̶s͘͜͞ ͢͠l̀͞o̵v͝ȩl̛y̸̢,̕͢ ̢̀h͡ǫ҉ṕ̶ ̵͟͏o̧n ҉̛i҉n̷̡

8/04/2020 7:24 pm  #16

Name: Aika Tonaya 
°Nickname{s}: none as of now
°Grade: 10
Gender/Pronouns: female + she/her
Sexuality: pansexual
Class: dukes/duchesses
Appearance: Aika has dark olive skin and striking blue eyes. Her very long, white hair is styled with four small ponytails in the front and five in the back. (basically this lmao, that description is pretty bad). Each ponytail is held by a wooden bead, each intricately carved and painted with glowing purple paint. She stands at about 5’1” and has a relatively lithe build. As for her face paint, she has the typical duke/duchess status paint (usually in purple), along with a scar and teardrop design that goes over her left eye (painted in turquoise).
Clothing Preference: Aika tends to wear pinafore dresses with turtlenecks or nicer t-shirts (depending on the weather), along with combat boots or converse high-tops. Her wardrobe is pretty muted, and you’ll rarely see her wearing white. She always carries a dark purple square backpack (kind of like a kanken) which holds her art supplies and other things.
Personality: Aika’s quite crafty when it comes to getting out of situations. She can come off as cold towards people, although it’s never really her intent as she doesn’t really know how to act. She’s pretty lonely, and while she doesn’t mind it too much, she’d like a friend or partner that sees past her status. Aika sees beauty in little things, which is a huge influence on her art. However, she’ll take drastic measures if needed to make her art the best it can be, and can be insensitive to other people involved. She's a great liar, and feels indifferent to it.
°Likes: deep caves, the Lantern Forest, art, chocolate, indie pop music
°Dislikes: her parents, politics, being told what to do
°Backstory: Aika was born to a protective duke and a duchess, perhaps too protective. They wouldn’t let her do much, keeping her inside the house and only letting her socialize with people of the same status. She quickly figured out a way to get out of the house, and would often go down to the caves to practice her abilities, or the Lantern Forest for inspiration. It took a lot of convincing for her parents to let her go to Snow Shore.
°Job/Career?: n/a, but wants to be an artist (specifically one that makes great carvings)
°Ability: Aika has the ability to know exactly what type of rock or metal there is by touching it. She’s also especially skilled in navigating dark places, and has taken time to practice over the years.
°Crush/Shippable?: sure!

might make another character but i dunno <3  

kat !
any prns

8/04/2020 8:34 pm  #17

@Meerkat, accepted!

8/04/2020 9:28 pm  #18

I decided to make another character OwO

Name: Vilatioi Cerulean

°Nickname{s}: Vila, Vil, V, Ceru {by his sister}
°Grade {9-12}: 12
Gender/Pronouns: Male, He/Him
Sexuality: Bisexual
Class: Lower Working

Appearance: He has long black hair, and light lilac eyes. Vila's skin is sallow from spending so much time in the mines, and his eyes are always bloodshot and shadowed by dark purple rings. He's thin, but the kind of thin that comes with limited food. Vila doesn't wear paint, believing their money can be better spent then on decoration.
Clothing Preference: Vila seems to have one outfit, large black combat boots, black cargo pants, and a long or short sleeved--you guessed it-- black top. The clothes have lots of holes and stitches from where he's had to repair them after ripping them.

Personality: He's very shy, having little to no experience actually talking to anyone except his sister and the rare person on the way to or from the mines. Vila has always been scared of them {see backstory}, and has to focus on a positive thing every time he goes {usually his sister}. He doesn't like to make small talk because of the uncomfortable silences that always seem to happen whenever he tries. Vila doesn't really focus on what he's going to do when his sister grows up, it just never occurs that she's going get older. {will develop in rp since he doesn't really talk to anyone as of now XD}
°Likes: Warmth, feeling heard, food, having comfortable silence, his sister
°Dislikes: Mining, darkness, the cold, stuck up people, closed spaces

°Backstory: Vila's parents died when he was young in a mining accident, so he's had to take care of his sister {who was about 3 then, 14 now} ever since. He's never really had time to himself, and since he was born into the lowest class, he spends most of his time taking care of his sister, or mining. Vila has actually been scared of his job ever since his parents died doing it, and he's always terrified of going back.
°Job/Career?: He doesn't know, but he's a miner right now
°Ability: Vila has the ability to echolocate, but as of right now he's only done it once and is too afraid to try again.
°Crush/Shippable?: yES PLEASE SHIP HIM
Other: sunrise, he's claustrophobic

Last edited by Astra (8/05/2020 10:53 pm)

[/Astra|Evergreen\]
She/Her
s l e e p

wow i exist??

8/04/2020 11:20 pm  #19

@Astra, accepted again!

8/05/2020 2:32 pm  #20

@Rune

I edited his sisters age to about 13 because meerkat wanted to make her!

[/Astra|Evergreen\]
She/Her
s l e e p

wow i exist??

8/05/2020 2:35 pm  #21

@Astra, 👌 sounds good!

8/05/2020 6:36 pm  #22

bookmarking!

Last edited by xenon (8/05/2020 6:36 pm)

xenon 
he/him || god of scones || brian david gilbert stan
gemini // mirage // the copy
too many forks, not enough spoons

8/05/2020 8:51 pm  #23

yeet skeet here's Vilatioi's sister

Name: Hydnora Cerulean
°Nickname{s}: Nora (preferred) 
°Grade: 9
Gender/Pronouns: female + she her
Sexuality: demibisexual
Class: lower working
Appearance: Nora has short, choppy black hair cut into a bob that reaches a little bit past her chin. Her eyes are lilac and she has slightly tanned skin. Like her brother, her build is quite thin due to lack of food. She stands at about 4’11”. Nora likes to paint the lower working class line with any paint she can get her hands on. 
Clothing Preference: Nora opts for a large black jacket over a black t-shirt, a pair of black cargo pants with lots of pockets, and black combat boots, all for stealing purposes. She’s added a lot of little flairs to her outfits, things she’s stolen off people, and the ones she wears most are a maroon head ribbon (like this) and a simple choker with a crystal charm. However, she would love to wear a little more color, and owns a couple colorful sweaters in the slim chance that she’d ever need to dress nice.
Personality: Nora’s a good thief. While her brother’s at the mines, she’ll often sneak around markets and other high-end places to steal what they need to get by. She’ll also take expensive things from the upper classes and sell them for money (or keep them for herself). She’s an excellent liar, but lies to pretty much everyone, including her brother. She doesn’t talk to people unless she has to and has a hard time forming bonds with people, which causes her to push people away in fear of losing them like she did her parents. While she loves her brother, she aims to test into a higher class and leave him behind, but has no idea what he’s going to do once she's old enough to take the test. This tends to worry her, as well as the fact that she's becoming more independent.
°Likes: stealing from the upper classes, dogs, her brother, exotic fruits, flashy clothes
°Dislikes: the upper classes, talking about her parents, social hierarchy in general, lying to her brother
°Backstory: With her parents dead, Nora grew up in the care of her brother. When she was 7, she realized she could echolocate when she was trying to steal food, and has been using it for that ever since. Her brother doesn’t know about this, and she aims to keep it that way. 
°Job/Career?: n/a does being a thief count lmao, but aspires to be part of the upper class when she takes the test
°Ability: Nora has the ability to echolocate and primarily uses it to ensure that she doesn’t get caught when she steals things.
°Crush/Shippable?: sureeeeeee
Other: sunrise (sister to Vilatioi)

kat !
any prns

8/05/2020 9:52 pm  #24

@Meerkat, accepted! 

8/06/2020 9:48 am  #25

Is it possible for siblings to be in different classes?

Specter | <<#CCsurvivor>>

Board footera