The Scholastic Forums

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

6/01/2020 3:26 pm  #1

School of the Cursed Signup |•| Yep, I'm rewriting it

Introduction-
Here in Audranyth, magic is real and unmistakably common. Some perform in the streets for a living, others put theirs to good use in hospitals or as knights/soldiers, and sometimes they use their powers to get their way, whatever it be.

But not all magic is safe. Not all magic is valued. Sometimes, it's deadly, feared, and difficult to control, or utterly useless.

What's the simplest way to take care of people with these kinds of powers? Lock them away in a castle far from any civilization, and hope that someday, they'll learn they can control their supernatural talents. 

For over a hundred years now, the kingdom of Audranyth has had no problems with this school. Tucked away in a cluster of mountains, it's difficult for the members to cause much trouble. Nobody thought the castle would be the one to cause difficulties.

{It might sound poorly explained, but this castle holds many secrets that will be unveiled throughout the story. I'll keep the rest of the plot a secret for now ;)}

Information-
> Despite how it sounds, the school is not just for people with powerful magic they can't control. It also works for people with 'curses', or magic that's practically useless in the real world. For example, if someone had magic that let them grow wings at random that they couldn't control, they would be sent to the school to help them figure out how to control it, or possibly to see if they could be taught other magic.
>> Also, people without magic get sent here in hopes that they can pick up on learning some simple tricks at the least. {Anybody without any magic is considered weak typically outcast by society.}

> Magic doesn't have to just be spells. Sometimes, magic is considered being part animal, or having wings.

> If it helps at all, the setting is modern day but with a monarchy and fantastical creatures. The technology is nearly just as advanced as today, but there sure as heck still are knights, mythical creatures and the like. And yes, this means I may or may not be planning some drama with the king and all. 

> Basically with powers, either make them really small and without having too much effect, or powerful but with a lot of harmful drawbacks. 

Rules-
> Please no perfect characters
> I'll likely only be doing straight ships because that's what I'm comfortable with writing. Sorry. You're more than welcome to have non-binary or transgender characters, however!
> I'd prefer if the characters you submit are your personas, but I won't mind if you want to go with something else!
> For now, I'm only allowing up to two characters per person
> Do me a favor and put 'blessed' in the other section
> To keep me from getting overwhelmed, I might close the signups from time to time, most likely starting with once I get the first chapter out. {The prologue doesn't count as a first chapter, just in case you're wondering}
> With the power/curse, I need details. If it's going to be a more powerful form of magic, I might pester you a lot for more information, or make inferences about it as I write. 
> Please erase all of the parentheses from the form!
> Thank you for reading everything! Now to move onto the form

Signup Status: Closed
Forumfic Thread Link: https://scholastic.boardhost.com/viewtopic.php?id=235

Form-
{× means it's an optional part of the form}

Name:
×Nickname{s}:
Grade {9-12, preferably}:
×Sexuality:

Appearance:
Clothing Preference:
Personality:
×Likes:
×Dislikes:
×Greatest Fear:
×Hobbies:

Power/Curse:
Strengths {Give me at least two, however small they are. At least one of them needs to be for their power/curse}:
>
>
Weaknesses {Again, I'll need two, and at least one of them needs to relate to their power/curse}:
>
>

Crush/Shippable?:
Can they be injured?:
Can they be killed?:
Other:

I may or may not end up putting my form here. I'll see. Thank you so much for reading this, and I hope you take the time to sign up! :D Sorry the form is so long though. Lastly, some small credit to Riri because when I saw the Rhythm Access signups, I realized it wouldn't be a bad idea to start over.

Last edited by Rune01 (8/02/2020 1:30 pm)

6/01/2020 3:30 pm  #2

Re: School of the Cursed Signup |•| Yep, I'm rewriting it

Imma bookmark this for a character

Though I guess you can expect him to be kinda the same as last time?

Last edited by Time (6/01/2020 3:31 pm)

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

6/01/2020 3:33 pm  #3

That's fine by me! Your character's power will be very useful, I can assure you that 

6/01/2020 3:50 pm  #4

well then, I'll be sure to actually give him a curse just like the last version, if it's going to be helpful

Time.
Originally from WoFMB

6/01/2020 11:58 pm  #5

Oh.I need to sign up to this

𝕿𝖎𝖌𝖊𝖗

6/02/2020 12:11 am  #6

Name: Aster Wren
×Nickname{s}: Prince Aster Wren {although no one knows it XD}
Grade: 11
×Sexuality: Bisexual

Appearance: He has sharp cheekbones, reminiscent of his father. Aster also has very pale skin. sometimes pale enough that you can see the veins under his skin. His lips are usually blue, a sign of the cold, and his skin is ice cold to the touch. Aster likes to dye his hair, as his family's natural hair color is silver, so he usually dyes it black or pastel blue. He has naturally almost purple eyes {well, they are purple}, and so he wears light blue contacts. He's pretty short, about 5 "5, and lithe. His hair is always perfectly styled, a habit he picked up from his parents.

Clothing Preference: Aster wears very heavy sweaters, usually plain, solid, and bright colors. He wears a light pair of pants that are designed to keep heat in, and then ripped jeans over them. He would like to wear clothes that don't consist of those though, but he's to scared that he'll lose control and then he'll die from the cold.

Personality: When you first meet him, he's friendly, but tends to direct all personal questions away, or lie about them. Aster is very kind, and likes to be the peacemaker in the group. He's the person you talk to if you want to rant to someone about something and/or get good advice. He doesn't like to tell things about himself to people, believing they don't really want to hear anything he says. Aster is very self-conscious and hard on himself, and constantly worries about losing control. He's also very sensitive and tries not to show it, but it's pretty obvious. He likes to hear others talk about themselves, and will always give people a second chance, no matter how naive it is. Aster doesn't like to disclose the truth about his curse to anyone, believing if he does everyone will be scared of him and not want to be near him.The truth is, he likes human interaction and contact and is too scared to lose it that he would do anything to keep his curse a secret. 

×Likes: Fire, sweaters, anything warm, feeling wanted, friendship, feeling heard, conversation, hugs
×Dislikes: His family, the cold, strong feelings, yellow
×Greatest Fear: Killing someone he knows/likes with his curse, rejection/someone not liking him/someone being scared of him
×Hobbies: Painting, playing the piano, singing

Power/Curse: He's cold-blooded, but not in a reptile way. When Aster feels any strong emotions his curse acts up and freezes everything around him. It's very unpredictable, it could just glue someone's feet, or it could stab them with a spear of ice. And, if he stays like that or around anything cold for too long {being around 1-2 minutes}, he'll turn into an ice statue. When his ice occurs, the temperature usually plummets pretty far below zero.

Strengths:
> Concealing his emotions {although I'm not sure that's a strength}
> If he was being attacked by anyone his curse would probably freeze them before they could get to him, unless it was a surprise attack.

Weaknesses:
> If he stays in the cold too long {around 1-2 minutes} he'll turn into an ice statue. {And if that's reversible, I'll leave that up to you. Maybe it could be someones tears..... }
> Conceals his emotions from others/doesn't feel anything, so when he's alone he usually cries.

Crush/Shippable?: yES SHIP HIM PLEASE
Can they be injured?: Yes
Can they be killed?: ...meh, I'd prefer not, but if it's really for the plot than I guess.
Other: Blessed

Last edited by Astra (6/02/2020 12:14 am)

[/Astra|Evergreen\]
She/Her
s l e e p

wow i exist??

6/02/2020 12:25 pm  #7

@Astra, accepted!

6/02/2020 2:21 pm  #8

ye
here's my other form

Name: Astra Solstice
×Nickname{s}: None
Grade: 11
×Sexuality: Straight

Appearance: Astra is tall and lithe, about 5"9. She has long, dark brown hair that almost reaches down to her waist, not quite. It was half dyed red a while ago, so the ends are frayed and dead. She still wants to dye it :again though, and she has quite an attachment to it, so whenever someone says she should cut it she is very offended. Her eyes are normally a quiet blue-gray, with a little circle of yellow in the center. Astra is quite pale, and she has a lot of freckles everywhere, and she usually wears her hair down, as long as it's not too hot. If the weather is too harsh, she'll usually wear it in dutch braids.

Clothing Preference: She likes black clothes, but tries to be stylish. It doesn't usually work, and she usually envies anyone who is naturally stylish. Astra would like to find clothes that she really likes, and not just regular things. She wears a black chain with a small vial filled with "acid" {see curse} around her neck, but no one knows about it.

Personality: Astra likes and tries to appear open and friendly, because that's what she wants to be. Sometimes she just wants to shut herself in her room for days and not do anything, but she forces herself to get up and interact because otherwise it would be rude. She's very hard on herself, but can't seem to see that. She's also very confused about herself, and feels like she's created so much of this fake personality that she can't find herself under it. Astra is great at hiding her feelings under a smile, because she feels like she is being dramatic and/or overreacting, no matter if she actually is or not. If you asked her to name something she liked about herself, she would say I don't know, because she doesn't. She often wants real connection, to be able to look someone in the eyes and tell them everything about herself and have them understand. Astra wants to feel heard by her peers, because she often feels like she goes unnoticed, and that her only addition to any friendship is positivity, and people can't see past it. She has a lot of insecurities and anxieties about herself and what others think of her.

×Likes: Food, talking to people, making friends, dancing, reading, drawing, writing, astronomy/just looking at the stars
×Dislikes: Fake friends, the cold, math, science, lying, vegetables, the sun
×Greatest Fear: Being forgotten by loved ones/by everyone when she dies
×Hobbies: Having existential crisis late at night, dancing, eating, staying up late to watch the stars

Power/Curse: There's a black void inside her, and every time she cries, a part of it emerges into the world through her eyes. {Meaning, she would start crying, and her tears would turn black.} It's almost acid like. If it came in contact with her skin, it would cause cracks, almost like it was porcelain.
Strengths:
> She's very intelligent and usually solves problems with her brain
> She could probably use the acid on someone if she had too.
Weaknesses:
> She's very insecure and anxious about everyone and everything
> The "acid" harms her if it comes into contact with her skin.

Crush/Shippable?: YES SHIP HER PLEASE
Can they be killed?: nu

[/Astra|Evergreen\]
She/Her
s l e e p

wow i exist??

6/02/2020 2:24 pm  #9

Accepted!

6/02/2020 4:20 pm  #10

Form:

Name: Rysun Dray
×Nickname: Rysun
Grade: 10th
×Sexuality: Straight

Appearance: Somewhat talk, toned and has muscles, but slimmer. Black hair, and incredibly attractive. Tan, lightbbrown skin, and about 5’8” in height. He kinda has a leader like charisma. He has dark brown eyes. Also, his hair is either spiky and up or more to the side, when his hair is longer.
Clothing Preference: athletic t shirt and shorts, nice, casual “date quality” long sleeve and pants. He tends to wear black and and red clothes. Often one clothing piece being either color.
Personality: hot tempered about things he’s passionate for, caring, hides a lot of his true emotions and puts up a “Life is great!” Facade. Headstrong, always wants to be the leader, when he’s not being impulsive, he’s very logical and generally strategic. Also not very humble, likes to self compliment and thinks highly of his looks.
×Likes: his girlfriend, fighting and studying fighting styles, war tactics and theories, working out, writing and reading
×Dislikes: insects. Dirt. Things that annoy him. People who repeatedly try to get him with him when it’s clear he’s taken.
xGreatest fear: giving in to his suicidal ness, which he tries his best to hide
×Hobbies: working out, fighting, war tactics, reading, writing

Power/Curse: spy
Strengths:
>  he can see a few of someone’s secrets when he activates it, say in a war, he could see commander’s tactics on the other side ahead of time.
>  can help bribe him out when he’s on the losing side or in a tight spot
Weaknesses:
> when he uses it, if the other person, the one he’s mind reading, can see some of his current thoughts or plans if they realize that he is using his power on THem.
> some people don’t trust him for this. However, it’s against his morals to use it regularly for his own fun. He may use it for pranks though, but this “trait” may change over time.
> he can be too impulsive at times and not use logic. Tends to use emotions to make decisions

Crush/Shippable?: No, not atm. Let me talk to my gf first if she wants to make a character
Can they be killed?: Well, can he go down like a hero and make some cool fighting sacrifice? If so, yeah!!
Other: blessed

Last edited by Rysun (6/02/2020 6:56 pm)

"So hot, I melt oceans, so cool, my drip is more than oceans,"

~ The one and only, Rysun

Also, proud boyfriend of @Joy. 

6/02/2020 4:32 pm  #11

@Rysun, is there a way to have a more detailed appearance? His complexion, height, etc. I don't really have much of a visual from what you've given me so far. I also need a more detailed personality. His power probably wouldn't get him sent to the school; super strength would be considered very useful, especially for knights, blacksmiths, etc. Lastly, read the rules, please!

6/02/2020 4:41 pm  #12

I edited it.

6/02/2020 4:45 pm  #13

@Rysun, Can I also have his eye color and possibly hair style? It'd also be useful to know what color his clothes tend to be. I'm assuming he's the outgoing type who likes to make friends...? Please correct me if I'm wrong. It's really useful to know whether or not someone is extroverted or introverted. Lastly, I'm super confused on his power. 

6/02/2020 4:52 pm  #14

Yep, he’s extroverted.
So basically, he see 1-2 secrets from someone’s mind when he activates it. Kinda like a mind reading thing, but it can be barely used when activated and he only sees very little Info

6/02/2020 5:51 pm  #15

Name: Bartholomew Dorn
×Nickname{s}: Bart
Grade {9-12, preferably}: 12
×Sexuality: Bi

Appearance: About 6 feet tall, but very skinny. He has short, neatly combed brown hair and tanned skin. His eyes are brown, but glow purple when he's about to teleport.
Clothing Preference: Usually dresses semi-casual, with striped polo shirts and khaki pants or cargo shorts. He often wears a baseball cap and sunglasses.
Personality: Bart tries to be a peacemaker. He listens to other people's ideas and rarely speaks out about his own opinions. If there's a conflict, he tends to back down quickly because he's scared of getting into fights.  He prefers being outside, and gets nervous in enclosed places. Being with friends helps relax his claustrophobia, and he's always down to have a good time. 
×Likes: Jazz, nature, sports, animals (Except wasps. Wasps are jerks.)
×Dislikes: Aggressive people, rainy days, crowded spaces
×Greatest Fear: Accidentally merging with a solid object
×Hobbies: Playing guitar, hiking, swimming

Power/Curse: Whenever he's attacked or feels threatened, he teleports to a random location within a 30 foot radius. He has an irrational fear of getting stuck inside an object when he teleports, so he tries to repress his ability and never learned to control it. . 
Strengths:
>
His teleportation ability activates instinctively when he's in danger
> He's good at quickly befriending new people
Weaknesses:
>
He's terrified of teleporting, and tries to avoid using it at all costs.
> He's kind of a coward in general

Crush/Shippable?: Sure
Can they be injured?: Sure
Can they be killed?: Sure but it better be good

Last edited by HungryCat1 (6/02/2020 11:54 pm)

Call me Marshall. Or Hungry, as that usually describes me.

"Chaos is only an enemy if you're unable to adapt"
-Шухрат Кессикбаев

Dealer of cursed artifacts

Chaotic Neutral energy

T̢h̛e v͝͝oi͜d̷̛ í̶s͘͜͞ ͢͠l̀͞o̵v͝ȩl̛y̸̢,̕͢ ̢̀h͡ǫ҉ṕ̶ ̵͟͏o̧n ҉̛i҉n̷̡

6/02/2020 6:54 pm  #16

@Rysun, ok, but I'll need an actual weakness for the power. 

@Hungrycat, so is it possible to teleport into something? And what would happen if he did?

6/02/2020 6:56 pm  #17

How does it look now?

6/02/2020 8:29 pm  #18

@Rysun, I guess I can work with that. Accepted.

6/02/2020 8:42 pm  #19

Actually after thinking about it I like the idea that his instincts keep him from actually ending up in an object, but he still has an irrational fear of it happening. So basically the teleportation is just instinctive whenever he's threatened, and his fear of the teleportation itself has prevented him from learning to consciously control it.

-Шухрат Кессикбаев

Chaotic Neutral energy

6/02/2020 8:47 pm  #20

@Hungrycat, that would work with me! And he can only teleport when feeling threatened, right?

6/02/2020 8:50 pm  #21

Basically, yeah. It's just a natural reaction whenever something attacks him. That's also why he tries to stay away from conflict as much as possible, because he doesn't want it to happen. 

-Шухрат Кессикбаев

Chaotic Neutral energy

6/02/2020 10:06 pm  #22

Bookmarking

I will DEFINITELY send in Travis's form!!! Maybe a bit edited for more clarification ;D and perhaps my forumer form with changes as well

You will be forever w a t c h e
{Did I mention that this is Fallon?}
{She/Her}

6/02/2020 11:09 pm  #23

@Hungrycat, Coolio! Do me a favor and add that into his form, and then lemme know when you've done that. 

@Fallon, :D Yay!!

6/02/2020 11:55 pm  #24

Edited

-Шухрат Кессикбаев

Chaotic Neutral energy

6/03/2020 10:22 am  #25

Then accepted! Thank you!

Board footera